how to display links inside my rss description?

Posts: 76 how to display links inside my rss description? hey all, I have that in my rxml: xml.instruct!

xml.rss "version" => "2.0", "xmlns:dc" => "DCMI: DCMI Metadata Terms; do   xml.channel do   xml.title _('My RSS')   xml.link url_for(:only_path=> false,        :controller=>'authors',        :action => 'list')   xml.pubDate CGI.rfc1123_date(@items.first.updated_at)   xml.description _("feed of the day")   @items.each do |item|     xml.item do     xml.title item.title     xml.link url_for(:only_path => false,         :controller => 'items',         :action => 'show',         :id => list)     xml.description item.authors.collect do |author|      link_to(author.name,:only_path => false,         :controller => 'items',         :action => 'show',         :id => item.id)

end    xml.pubDate CGI.rfc1123_date(list.updated_at)     xml.guid url_for(:only_path => false,         :controller => 'items',         :action => 'show',         :id => item)     xml.author h("no one")         end   end end

but then i get that error: XmlMarkup cannot mix a text argument with a block

Extracted source (around line #18):

15: :controller => 'items', 16: :action => 'show', 17: :id => list) 18: xml.description item.authors.collect do |author| 19: link_to(author.name,:only_path => false, 20: :controller => 'items', 21: :action => 'show', 22: :id => item.id)

any idea how I should do this?

Thanx in advance

Pat

Patrick Aljord wrote:

It doesn't look like you're having trouble with any links... looks like Builder doesn't like you calling a block as an argument to a tag (via method_missing):

xml.description item.authors.collect do |author|      link_to(author.name,:only_path => false,         :controller => 'items',         :action => 'show',         :id => item.id)

end

I think you want braces around the content (the block) being passed to xml.description:

xml.description {      item.authors.collect do |author|        link_to(author.name,:only_path => false,          :controller => 'items',          :action => 'show',          :id => item.id)      end    }

Looks to me like you also have some typos in there, unless they're features of Builder of which I'm not aware... in particular there is a '_' character before a '(' in two places:

xml.title _('My RSS')

and

xml.description _("feed of the day")

Good luck

b

sorry - just noticed this thread.

this thread will show you how to use resource_feeder(render_rss_feed_for) to render regular old rhtml views for rss/atom descriptions.

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/2b920da418dc9363/beec22ed5fa26fea?lnk=gst&q=&rnum=13#beec22ed5fa26fea

Cheers, Jodi General Partner The nNovation Group inc. www.nnovation.ca/blog

on-innovation.gif

thanx a lot.

Patrick Aljord wrote:

thanx a lot.

Looks to me like you also have some typos in there, unless they're features of Builder of which I'm not aware... in particular there is a '_' character before a '(' in two places:

xml.title _('My RSS')

and

xml.description _("feed of the day")

this is not a typo, it's just ruby gettext synthax :slight_smile:

Ah, cool... so I taught you something and you taught me something! :slight_smile:

b