How to avoid code duplication when validating virtual attributes?

I recently had to do some work populating a model from complex virtual attributes. However, I also wanted to be able to leverage the validations framework to be able to add descriptions of errors that existed in virtual attribute values. I'm wondering how to avoid duplication between the code that transforms the virtual attributes into real attributes, and the code that does the validation.

This is probably best demonstrated with a simplified example.

Before I start, it's worth noting that this situation is a little unusual in that it uses a model that isn't actually created by the user via a form. Instead, I have a Ruby process that monitors a POP3 server and, whenever a new email is received, parses the mail to determine the sender from the email address, and saves it to the database via a 'Message' model. If any errors occur saving the message, it writes the errors to the log. I won't go into the details of checking the POP3 server, but suffice to say that I'd like the code that actually processes each email to look something like this:

def receive(mail)     message = Message.new(:mail => mail)     unless message.save       // Write out the message validation errors to the log.     end   end

To support this, the Message model includes a 'mail' virtual attribute. Assuming that this attribute is a TMail::Mail object, the Message model looks something like this:

class Message < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :sender

def mail=(mail)     @mail = mail     self.sender = Sender.find_by_email_address(mail.from_addrs[0]) if mail.from_addrs.size == 1   end

def validate     from_addresses = @mail.from_addrs

if from_addresses.size == 1       errors.add("'From' address", "is not a known sender ") unless Sender.find_by_email_address(from_addresses[0])     else       errors.add("'From' addresses", "expected to contain one email address")     end   end end

My concern is the duplicated logic for checking whether there's just one email address. It mightn't look too bad now, but rapidly becomes a pain when many other parts of the email have to be parsed and validated (as is the case in real life). It's also worth keeping in mind that I have to double up my testing too.

I thought about just raising an exception if there were any problems when setting the virtual attribute. However, this brought it's own complexities - to do it properly I have to define a custom exception class, and get the caller to check if it has been raised.

I also thought about adding the errors in the virtual attribute setter instead of the validate() method, but I've never seen this done before and am not sure what side-effects it might have.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Teese wrote:

if from_addresses.size == 1       errors.add("'From' address", "is not a known sender ") unless Sender.find_by_email_address(from_addresses[0])     else       errors.add("'From' addresses", "expected to contain one email address")     end

I think your main problem is that the if statement is actually running two validation actions and not just one.

So a first change could be to:

unless from_addresses.size == 1   errors.add("'From' addresses", "expected to contain one email address") end

unless Sender.find_by_email_address(from_addresses[0])   errors.add("'From' address", "is not a known sender ") end

That would simplify this a littel.

Also your code will be a lot easier to read and test if you stripped each validation out into its own private method. So I'd rewrite your validation method as:

def validate     @from_addresses = @mail.from_addrs     validate_only_one_from_address     validate_from_address_is_known_sender   end

private   def validate_only_one_from_address     unless @from_addresses.size == 1       errors.add("'From' addresses", "expected to contain one email address")     end   end

def validate_from_address_is_known_sender     unless Sender.find_by_email_address(@from_addresses[0])       errors.add("'From' address", "is not a known sender ")     end   end