How old are you?

Just curious how old we all are? Not that it really matters but I was just wondering.

To get the ball rolling, I'm 21.

Old enough to have a child who is a core contributor or wrote like most of the gems I use :slight_smile:

Richard Burton wrote:

Just curious how old we all are? Not that it really matters but I was just wondering.

Why do you ask?

To get the ball rolling, I'm 21.

I'm young enough to have lots of energy, optimism, and ambition, and old enough to have learned from lots of mistakes. :slight_smile:

Best,

I've been in my current job longer than that.

Old enough to have a two-year old and a newborn. Ive been working at my job for 11 years now. My 30th birthday was a year ago...

@david khan

And strangely, you know how to use a computer j/k

@david khan

And strangely, you know how to use a computer j/k

yeah, I got a paper route in 4th grade to buy a Vic 20 with 8k and learn Basic. Which is about the extent of my formal training :slight_smile:

I remember when I was interviewing a student for a software engineering post and he said his father was a software engineer. It was quite a shock. Until then it had not occurred to me that anyone looking for a job could have a father who was be a software engineer!

Colin

I remember when I was interviewing a student for a software engineering post and he said his father was a software engineer. It was quite a shock. Until then it had not occurred to me that anyone looking for a job could have a father who was be a software engineer!

Now, I may have been dramatic, I am 38. But when I look at github I see so many who look like they are still in high school :slight_smile:

Well if this adds more perspective my father who although is a physicist and not a programmer, used ibm punchcards for his computer programs. So if you dropped the box and they got out of order…

And of course there is 1/2 of the world built on cobol and fortran.

yeah, I got a paper route in 4th grade to buy a Vic 20 with 8k and learn Basic. Which is about the extent of my formal training :slight_smile:

So you startet with the successor of my first computer : a Commodore PET 2001 ...

yeah, I got a paper route in 4th grade to buy a Vic 20 with 8k and learn

Basic. Which is about the extent of my formal training :slight_smile:

So you startet with the successor of my first computer :

a Commodore PET 2001 …

I remember those big one-piece machines with monitor, right? I would have envied you, I thought only schools got those…and the 2001 made it seem like something from star-trek. Same time period my 4th grade teacher had both and Apple II and a teletype in the classroom… I drooled over those.

By the time this posts it will be my birthday and I'll be 45. Been in IT for 27 years. Started out on mainframes (IBM radiator cooled 3090) and mini's (DEC Vax).

Wrote a program to get rid of Avon's last Hollerith punch card reader in 1990. (Yeah, they were a little late).

haha

Gary.

Didn't you used to go out with that lady...? What's her name...? Oh yes! Elizabeth Taylor? I don't think you're 21!

I don't mind admitting I am 54 - I am aiming to keep learning and developing my skills as long as I can. I am self employed working on my own, so this forum is a lifeline to keeping in touch with what is developing and picking up on how to do things better. I always find it helpful when concepts are discussed and appreciate links to useful resources. (thanks to those who contribute)

Finding time to keep up with changes as well as doing actual development is quite a stretch.

Tonypm

pepe wrote in post #949294:

Didn't you used to go out with that lady...? What's her name...? Oh yes! Elizabeth Taylor? I don't think you're 21!

I'm working on finding a chick with that name :slight_smile:

Hi

I'm 54. Provable the eldest one in this mailing list. Why do you care about age?

I think my 61 beats that. I wrote my first code 42 years ago (Elliott 803, paper tape input, 1kHz cycle time (yes, kHz)). I expect there are older still. I care about age because at some point my validations on age will fail.

Colin

David Kahn wrote in post #947370:

So if you dropped the box and they got out of order....

That's why any "serious" programmer back in those days (not that I would know personally of anything like that) carried colored markers to mark stripes diagonally across the top of the batched deck... helluva lot easier to do the first order sort just by lining up the stripe...

> Didn't you used to go out with that lady...? What's her name...? Oh > yes! Elizabeth Taylor? I don't think you're 21!

I'm working on finding a chick with that name :slight_smile:

Good luck with that one! It would be too funny if you did. :slight_smile:

Almost 45 and (hopefully) keeping counting.

twenty five years… six months ago i started in Rails world… i am a new developer… i am happy now (PHP and Java was a wrong way for me for seven years)

Ruby + Rails + Jquery is very powefull for me

I'm 52.

You can get a little more about me here: http://www.marcric.com/