how do I install git on OSX 10.6.8?

git presents me with these choices:

git-1.7.6.1-i386-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.6.1-x86_64-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.6-i386-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.6-x86_64-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.5.4-i386-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.5.4-x86_64-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.5.3-i386-leopard.dmg

How do I know which one to download?

Guessing anyone will do just fine taking into consideration that Lion is capable of running 64bit application as well as 32 bit application. I would highly recommend installing git via package manager thou (brew - http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/)

Is your Snow Leopard installation a 64-bit or 32-bit one? i386 refers to 32-bit and x86_64 is 64-bit.

You will most likely want to install git-1.7.6.1-i386-snow-leopard.dmg or git-1.7.6.1-x86_64-snow-leopard.dmg.

- Russell

7stud -- wrote in post #1022865:

The git download page presents me with these choices:

git-1.7.6.1-i386-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.6.1-x86_64-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.6-i386-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.6-x86_64-snow-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.5.4-i386-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.5.4-x86_64-leopard.dmg      git-1.7.5.3-i386-leopard.dmg

How do I know whether to download i386 or x86_64?

We can't tell without knowing what hardware you are running. If you Mac has a 64 bit processor then install the x86_64 bit version. This is most likely the case. For example: the only MacBook Pro that was not 64 bit was the very first model. That one had a Core Duo processor as opposed to the Core 2 Duo. All currently shipping Macs (AFAIK) are 64-bit.

Robert Walker wrote in post #1022903:

We can't tell without knowing what hardware you are running. If you Mac has a 64 bit processor then install the x86_64 bit version. This is most likely the case. For example: the only MacBook Pro that was not 64 bit was the very first model. That one had a Core Duo processor as opposed to the Core 2 Duo. All currently shipping Macs (AFAIK) are 64-bit.

Oh! I also forgot to mention that there are other ways to install git on the Mac. If you installed Xcode 4 in order to get the C compilers then it installs a fairly recent version of git. So you may already have git installed.

Git can also be installed via Homebrew, macport (yuck), or possibly by other means.

Yeah, I would recommend using Homebrew to install Git. It was super easy for me.

brew install git

I didn't need to choose which version to download because it figured that out for me. Once you start using Homebrew, you'll want to start using it to install everything. =]

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook   Model Identifier: MacBook2,1   Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo   Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz   Number Of Processors: 1   Total Number Of Cores: 2   L2 Cache: 4 MB   Memory: 2 GB   Bus Speed: 667 MHz   Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07   SMC Version (system): 1.17f0   Serial Number (system): W87250Z3YA8   Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B631EC639   Sudden Motion Sensor:   State: Enabled

Robert Walker wrote in post #1022904:

Oh! I also forgot to mention that there are other ways to install git on the Mac. If you installed Xcode 4 in order to get the C compilers then it installs a fairly recent version of git. So you may already have git installed.

Xcode 4 isn't free, so I downloaded Xcode 3.2.6, and apparently it doesn't install git.

Robert Walker wrote in post #1022904:

Xcode 4 isn't free, so I downloaded Xcode 3.2.6, and apparently it doesn't install git.

Actually Xcode 4 is free, since the Lion release.

-GR

I wonder why you would be seeing a price. I just looked in the Mac App Store, Xcode 4.1.1 is listed there as "free". I'm not a $99 paid-up developer, just a member of the free program, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Could someone else check, someone who doesn't already have 4.x installed?

Walter

Does xcode 4 work on osx 10.6.8? If so, where can I download it?

Here:

it says:

Here:

Xcode - Support - Apple Developer

it says:

maybe out of date?

=== Paid members of the Mac and iOS Developer Programs have access to the latest Xcode developer tools, SDKs, and pre-release software. Program members can download Xcode 4.

Xcode 4.1 for Lion is available as a free download from the Mac App Store. If you are registered as an Apple Developer, you can download Xcode 3 for free. Both Xcode 3 and Xcode 4 include the most recent SDKs for both Mac OS X and iOS.

I am running Xcode 4.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 as we speak. I don't recall paying for it. (I may have done, but if I did, it was a trivial amount.) I am not a $99 member of any Apple development program.

Walter

7stud -- wrote in post #1022977:

You must be an iOS or Mac Developer Program member to download Xcode 4 or you can download Xcode 4.1 for Lion for free from the Mac App Store.

Yep. That's why I mentioned the other options. I'd use Homebrew myself if I didn't already use Xcode 4.1 on Lion for my iOS development. Also, if you're one that likes to run the cutting-edge newest version of Git then you may want to use Homebrew. That will almost certainly be kept somewhat more up-to-date than the version of Git provided by Xcode, which is currently 1.7.3.4.

its a apple pie dude

http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/downloads/list?can=3

and choose a version of Mac OS

after just test using into terminal

git --version

leoncio caminha wrote in post #1022992:

its a apple pie dude

Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

and choose a version of Mac OS

Well...that's the problem.

Walter Davis wrote in post #1022969:

Anyway, can someone confirm what git I am supposed to install?

I would bet it's the x64 version. Try it -- if it doesn't work, it'll let you know and you can delete it.

Alternatively, look at `About This Mac` -> Software -> Applications and see if you have any that say something like

Dashboard:

Version: 1.7   Last Modified: 6/24/11 5:34 PM   Kind: Universal   64-Bit (Intel): Yes

If so, I would think it's probably a good sign you have 64-bit HW :slight_smile:

I downloaded:

git-1.7.6.1-x86_64-snow-leopard.dmg

and went through the install wizard, but the command:

$ git --version

returned:

git command not found

But after I Quit Terminal, and reopened Terminal, I got:

$ git --version git version 1.7.6.1

Thanks.