Heroku | Rails 4 | Ruby 2.0 - send_file not presenting file for download in the browser

Hello all,

I am have an app that is hosted on heroku (rails 4 | ruby 2.0) that I am using paperclip-dropbox to upload attachments to a blog. I have created a download link for people who read the blog to be able to download the attachments but I am not able to get the file to actually download via the browser. I am curious if anyone knows what could be the issue.

My process is I download the file locally, using HTTParty.get, to public/images and then attempt to present the file to the user to download. Getting the file to download is working without issue. But getting the browser to present the file is my problem.

I am looking for any help on what I could do to figure out what I may be doing incorrectly.

Here is what I currently have:

app/controllers/blog_attachments.rb

before_action :set_blog_attachment, only: [:download]

def download

download_file(@blog_attachment)

send_file(“#{Rails.root}/public/blog_attachments/#{@blog_attachment.document_file_name}”,

filename: @blog_attachment.document_file_name,

type: @blog_attachment.document_content_type,

stream: true,

disposition: ‘inline’)

respond_to do |format|

format.js {}

end

end

private

def download_file(file)

File.open(“#{Rails.root}/public/blog_attachments/#{file.document_file_name}”,‘wb’) do |f|

f.write HTTParty.get(file.document.url).parsed_response

end

end

Use callbacks to share common setup or constraints between actions.

def set_blog_attachment

@blog_attachment = BlogAttachment.find(params[:id])

end

Never trust parameters from the scary internet, only allow the white list through.

def blog_attachment_params

params[:blog_attachment]

end

app/views/blogs/show.html.erb

<% for attachment in @blog.blog_attachments %>

<%= link_to attachment.document_file_name, download_blog_attachments_path(id: attachment.id), remote: true, method: :get %>

<% end %>

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

don’t use remote:true (ajax) here: javascript has not access to the filesystem and so cannot write the file to disk

Fred