Heroku, needs constant AppController updates?

Dear All,

Fairly new to rails and Heroku, so could be doing something wacky - do let me know if you think my code practice is off, even if unrelated to this error, I'd like to learn!

I'm using Rails 3.0.0, ruby 1.8.7, and 'sqlite3-ruby', '1.2.5', :require => 'sqlite3'.

I've got an application that goes off and scrapes websites for event information, to do this I'm using:

nokogiri - for scraping date - to help with parsing chronic - to help recognise dates open-uri - to open the url

all of these are just gem 'gem-name', so latest unspecified versions.

The code that does this scraping is in the ApplicationController class - a bad place for it? I've just got it working as a background process using delayed_job, I have a class called EventSearcher with the required 'perform' method.

My error occurs when I upload to Heroku, if I make changes to the app, but NOT to ApplicationController, do $git add . / git commit .... / git push heroku master / heroku workers 1 / heroku open then the process runs, appears successful in the logs, but returns no events

The error can be solved I've discovered by making small changes to Application controller, such as adding the line logger.debug"Changing AppController again" then doing $git add . / git commit .... / git push heroku master / heroku workers 1 / heroku open this time the process runs, appears in logs to take longer, and returns the scraped info as required.

Any ideas why this should be??

I have tried solving this myself by putting in 'logger.debug" commands, but these don't show on my heroku logs, any idea how to get them to show up?

I've put the code below, for ApplicationController, EventSearcher, and part of SuggestedEvents it's a bit of a mess I know, but runs fine on local machine.

-------------- Application Controller

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base

require 'date'   require 'nokogiri'   require 'open-uri'   require 'chronic'

protect_from_forgery   include SessionsHelper

def authenticate       deny_access unless signed_in?     end

def find_all_events

@event_searches = EventSearch.all

@event_searches.each do |es|

do_search(es)

end end

def find_one_band_events(event_id)

es = EventSearch.where(:id => event_id)[0]   do_search(es) end

def do_search(event_search)

logger.debug"Changing AppController again"   logger.debug"in do search"   url = event_search.urlOne

if validate(url)

logger.debug"Passed Validate URL"

doc = Nokogiri::HTML(open(url))

#search the doc with the saved css search strings   if !(event_search.eventDateCSS.empty?)     startDate = doc.css(event_search.eventDateCSS) else eventDate = 0 end   if !(event_search.eventNameCSS.empty?)     eventName = doc.css(event_search.eventNameCSS) else eventName = 0 end   if !(event_search.eventLocationCSS.empty?)     location = doc.css(event_search.eventLocationCSS) else location = 0 end   if !(event_search.eventTimeCSS.empty?)     time = doc.css(event_search.eventTimeCSS) else time = 0 end   if !(event_search.priceCSS.empty?)     price = doc.css(event_search.priceCSS) else price = 0 end   if !(event_search.descriptionCSS.empty?)     description = doc.css(event_search.descriptionCSS) else description = 0 end   i=0

if eventDate != 0   while i < startDate.length # find all events on that page going through each case of start date

SuggestedEvent.new do |@savedEvent|

if eventDate != 0         @savedEvent.eventDate = date_from_string(startDate[i].content)         logger.debug(startDate[i].content)         end

test = SuggestedEvent.where(:bandName => event_search.bandName,                     :eventDate => @savedEvent.eventDate)

if !test[0]

@savedEvent.bandName = event_search.bandName       if eventName != 0         @savedEvent.eventName = remove_whitespace(eventName[i].content)         end       if time != 0         @savedEvent.doorsOpen = Chronic.parse(time[i].content) end       if price != 0         @savedEvent.price = price[i].content end       if description !=0         @savedEvent.description = remove_whitespace(description[i].content) end

if location != 0         savedVenueName = paramMatcher('Venue','venueName', remove_whitespace(location[i].content))         if savedVenueName           @savedEvent.venue = savedVenueName[0]           @savedEvent.city_location = savedVenueName[1]           @savedEvent.longitude = savedVenueName[2]           @savedEvent.latitude = savedVenueName[3]         else           @newVenue = Venue.new           @newVenue.venueName = remove_whitespace(location[i].content)           @newVenue.old_venue_name = @newVenue.venueName           @newVenue.save           @savedEvent.venue = remove_whitespace(location[i].content)         end #of if       else           @savedEvent.venue = 'No saved venue found'       end #of location !=       @savedEvent.save       end # of if !test     end # of .new do    i += 1   end # of while

end #of if eventDate !=0

end # of if url passes

end # of def

# get the date from whatever string gets thrown def date_from_string(date)

# should remove st rd nd and th

firstParse = Chronic.parse(date) r1 = /[a-zA-Z]/

#daY Less than 12, assume chronic wrong for Britain, as long as also no characters such as December, #where it would be right if firstParse.day <= 12 and !r1.match(date)

#swap month with day   firstParse = firstParse.change(:day => firstParse.month, :month => firstParse.day)

end #of if

return firstParse

end #of def

# remove whitespace and other characters such as newline

def remove_whitespace(dirty_name)

return dirty_name.split(' ').join(" ")

end

#find names in strings from the net def paramMatcher(modelString, param, cssScrapedString)

case modelString   when 'Venue'   venues = Venue.all   i=0     venues.each do |v|

if v.venueName.scan(cssScrapedString)[0] or cssScrapedString.scan(v.venueName)[0]

return [v.venueName, v.city_location, v.longitude, v.latitude]       end

end # of .each   end # of case

return nil end # of def param Matcher

def validate(url)   begin     uri = URI.parse(url)     if uri.class != URI::HTTP     return false     end     rescue URI::InvalidURIError     return false     end   return true end

end # of class

----------------- Event Searcher

class EventSearcher < ApplicationController

attr_accessor :all_events   attr_accessor :one_event_id

def perform

logger.debug"in perform"

if all_events == 1 # searches all band names

logger.debug"in perform, all_events == 1"

find_all_events

end

if one_event_id != nil #searches just one band name using id

logger.debug"in perform, one_event != nil"   logger.debug(one_event_id)   find_one_band_events(one_event_id)

end

end # Of Perform

end #of class

-------------- Suggested Events

class SuggestedEventsController < ApplicationController

#.... other functions removed for brevity....

def search_all_events

logger.debug"Sugg E search all events"   #the instance of the object that gets put on the queue   @event_searcher = EventSearcher.new   @event_searcher.one_event_id = nil   @event_searcher.all_events = 1   Delayed::Job.enqueue @event_searcher

flash[:notice] = "Finding All events, this takes a while, refresh after 10 mins"   redirect_to suggested_events_path

end

end

Dear All,

Fairly new to rails and Heroku, so could be doing something wacky - do let me know if you think my code practice is off, even if unrelated to this error, I'd like to learn!

I'm using Rails 3.0.0, ruby 1.8.7, and 'sqlite3-ruby', '1.2.5', :require => 'sqlite3'.

I've got an application that goes off and scrapes websites for event information, to do this I'm using:

nokogiri - for scraping date - to help with parsing chronic - to help recognise dates open-uri - to open the url

all of these are just gem 'gem-name', so latest unspecified versions.

The code that does this scraping is in the ApplicationController class - a bad place for it?

I don't know if it is related to your problem, but it does seem a bizarre place to put that code - I'd stick it all in the EventSearcher class and have EventSearcher inherit from object directy)

Fred

Fred

Thanks for the advice Fred,

I've moved the search logic / parsing across to the EventSearcher class now as you suggested, and it seems to be working. I had it in there to begin with, and moved it out because it couldn't find other classes it needed. But I now think this was caused because I didn't restart the local server before retrying.

When you say "and have EventSearcher inherit from object directy)" could you explain how to do this, currently I have EventSearcher inherit from Application controller with

class EventSearcher < ApplicationController

is this what you mean?

thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the advice Fred,

I've moved the search logic / parsing across to the EventSearcher class now as you suggested, and it seems to be working. I had it in there to begin with, and moved it out because it couldn't find other classes it needed. But I now think this was caused because I didn't restart the local server before retrying.

When you say "and have EventSearcher inherit from object directy)" could you explain how to do this, currently I have EventSearcher inherit from Application controller with

I meant just class EventSearcher ... end

(which is the same as < Object)

Fred

I tried making EventSearcher just inherit from object, ie:

class EventSearcher

but then I get errors from almost the first line, eg.

failed with NameError: undefined local variable or method `logger'

for my debug statements, and I don't suppose it'll know about my model Classes either. Having it inherit from ApplicationController solves these problems, but is there a better way of doing this?

cheers,

Mike

I tried making EventSearcher just inherit from object, ie:

class EventSearcher

but then I get errors from almost the first line, eg.

failed with NameError: undefined local variable or method `logger'

for my debug statements, and I don't suppose it'll know about my model Classes either. Having it inherit from ApplicationController solves these problems, but is there a better way of doing this?

Finding your model classes should not be a problem. logger is an instance method on controllers, so you don't get it here. Rails.logger will get you the same logger though (and you could define a logger method yourself to save some typing.

Fred

Cool, learning plenty here, cheers!

I've got a logger method in the class now, and so taken away the unnecessary inheritance. Cheers!

My heroku app is working for now, although I'm not sure it'll stay working, it seems to stop fetching events after a day, and needs a new git push, with changes to specifically the "def do_search(event_search)" method which is the one that does the work of getting the url, and parsing the html. A bit weird, as it works every time on local machine. I've asked them about this on the heroku mailing list as well.

Thanks for your help!

M

I've got a logger method in the class now, and so taken away the unnecessary inheritance. Cheers!

My heroku app is working for now, although I'm not sure it'll stay working, it seems to stop fetching events after a day, and needs a new git push, with changes to specifically the "def do_search(event_search)" method which is the one that does the work of getting the url, and parsing the html. A bit weird, as it works every time on local machine. I've asked them about this on the heroku mailing list as well.

If your daemon is idle for extended periods of time it might be your mysql connection timing out. You could try tossing in a call to ActiveRecord::Base.connection_pool.verify_active_connections! to weed out dead connections

Fred

Michael Baldock wrote in post #972049:

Why don't you set up a cron job or use Resque or delayed_job to run the job periodically?

Thanks for your help!

M

Best,