helper for ajax field update

I have a page that lists a set of tasks, each with a status field. I'd like the ability to update the status from this field, through a pop-up box. Basically, click the link, a little text area box opens, the user enters the update, clicks save, the box goes away and the update appears on the page.

I could probably create this, but figured there may be a helper method out there already.

Thanks.

Hi Bill,

I have a page that lists a set of tasks, each with a status field. I'd like the ability to update the status from this field, through a pop-up box. Basically, click the link, a little text area box opens, the user enters the update, clicks save, the box goes away and the update appears on the page.

I could probably create this, but figured there may be a helper method out there already.

Sort of. The in_place_editing helpers were removed from Rails core in 2.0 and made into a plugin. Google 'rails in place edit'. There are several plug-in options.

Note that this is not specifically what you asked for. That is, this does not generate a pop-up box. There are lots of reasons not to go that route including pop-up blockers and the removal of 'target=blank (etc)' from the standards. If you really want a pop-up, you'll have to roll your own.

HTH, Bill