Help me with choosing relations between tables

My app lets users to create educational tests on various subjects, and then another users can complete them.

Each User has some kind of Profile. There should be opportunity to add tests they like in their profiles, so they don’t need to seatch it it then they want to complete it again. The problem is that I don’t know what relations should be between test and profile.

I don’t want them belong to each other, because the logic is not like they belong to each other, User can simly add shortcut and easily find required test from his profile.

So I can do this without a relation? Or I can’t?

My app lets users to create educational tests on various subjects, and then another users can complete them. Each User has some kind of Profile. There should be opportunity to add tests they like in their profiles, so they don't need to seatch it it then they want to complete it again. The problem is that I don't know what relations should be between test and profile. I don't want them belong to each other, because the logic is not like they belong to each other, User can simly add shortcut and easily find required test from his profile. So I can do this without a relation? Or I can't?

What are the attributes of a Profile object? Can a use have more than one profile? Can a profile be associated with more that one user? I presume a profile can have multiple tests Can a test be in more than one profile?

Colin

1. Just Added Tests

2. No

3)No

1. Yes

2. Yes

Basically it is like has many tests and belongs to many tests

I have re-ordered your reply so it makes sense, please don't top post. Thanks

> My app lets users to create educational tests on various subjects, and > then > another users can complete them. > Each User has some kind of Profile. There should be opportunity to add > tests > they like in their profiles, so they don't need to seatch it it then > they > want to complete it again. The problem is that I don't know what > relations > should be between test and profile. > I don't want them belong to each other, because the logic is not like > they > belong to each other, User can simly add shortcut and easily find > required > test from his profile. > So I can do this without a relation? Or I can't?

What are the attributes of a Profile object?

1) Just Added Tests

Can a use have more than one profile?

2) No

Can a profile be associated with more that one user?

3)No

I presume a profile can have multiple tests

4) Yes

Can a test be in more than one profile?

5) Yes Basically it is like has many tests and belongs to many tests

I don't understand why you have a Profile object at all, is it not just part of the User? As you say, the relation between tests and profile (or user) is has_and_belongs_to_many or has_many through. I prefer has_many through as I find it easier to think about. Have a look at the Rails Guide on ActiveRecord Relations if you don't understand how to do this.

Colin