Help creating and using database

I have this problem. I have a Job table in my db, and each job has many steps (table Step). Is not possible to know how many steps a job has until it is created. So when I create a new job I have a problem: I can not have a step_id in my Job table, because it can be one step or more. What can I do?

I have this problem. I have a Job table in my db, and each job has many steps (table Step). Is not possible to know how many steps a job has until it is created. So when I create a new job I have a problem: I can not have a step_id in my Job table, because it can be one step or more. What can I do?

If jobs has_many :steps then the jobs table doesn't have a step_id at all: steps have a job_id column.

Fred

Thanks, I know. If I can create a job first I have no problem, but I can't do that. I want to be able to create a job and, at the same time, create as many steps as I want. I would use AJAX in order to create new step fields, but if I have not created a job I can have any relation between a step and a job. Any ideas?

HAii… sorry my English is very bad I don’t what you want… but I have idea why do u not use 3 model / 3 table?

table job id

table join_job_step job_id step_id

table step id

this is “has_many_and_belongs_to” (same), but Don’t use “has_many_and_belongs_to”. Model:

• job has_many :join_job_steps

• join_job_step belongs_to :job

• step has_may :join_job_steps

So, when u create job or step, u don’t need step_id or job_id… And if u want make relation, just create join_job_step.

May be it can help u… Thank you

Thanks a lot, but I think that does not solve my problem, because I need to create a job to make a relation between the job and it steps. With that, I can create steps without a job, but how can I make relation between these steps and the job. Should I have to take the last steps and make a relation with the job I am creating? I think this is a bas solution. Any other ideas?

I think what you're looking for is the build method, something along the lines of @job.steps.build in your controller.

Take a look at the complex form railscasts by Ryan Bates:

(go to parts 2 and 3 after you're done with part 1).

Harold wrote:

I think what you're looking for is the build method, something along the lines of @job.steps.build in your controller.

Take a look at the complex form railscasts by Ryan Bates: #73 Complex Forms Part 1 - RailsCasts (go to parts 2 and 3 after you're done with part 1).

On Dec 22, 5:56�am, John Smith <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Thanks a lot. I will check it.

sorry to say, but i think what you really need is a guide on data- modeling.

if a job has many steps, the job has to be there before you create any steps, as every step belongs to exactly one job.

now, you say you have to create a job and its steps at the same time. why don't you think of a way to solve that? look into your controller, there is always a solution.