guides on css strategy

I'm having to design the UI to a small site, and that means dabbling in css. I've never been able to get any kind of decent idea as to how to decide on classes and id-ing. I've had a sniff around the internet without success: people seem to be as clueless as me. I've even examined the css/markup of a few sites and it hasn't been enlightening.

Does anyone know of a good source of info on css class decisions, and ids? Even better with rails inm ind. Something that broke through for you might be good. I'm not so interested in how css works: that's easy to find, and I have a pretty good idea already.

I’m no CSS expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, I do have one bit of advice: don’t name classes based on attributes, such as color; instead, name classes for what they are. For example, don’t create a class named blue_table; rather, create one named line_items, if that’s what you’re presenting.

The problem with a name such as blue_table is that you might change the color to green and the markup to use something other than a table. Then you also should change the CSS class name, but you only have to change it because it’s named poorly.

One of my partners likes the Blueprint CSS framework [ http://www.blueprintcss.org/ ]. I suspect it will serve as a good example.

Regards, Craig

Thanks, Craig.

A warning about Blueprint: The appeal of Blueprint is in its outstanding grid framework: less on its naming conventions (it uses span-1, span-2 etc. as class names, which are NOT semantic, although very useful)

I find the best way to think of ids and classnames as specific and generic and nothing to do with style. So If you have one main headline on a page, it would have an ID of "headline", whereas if you had a series of articles, you could have a class="articles" ...

... that said, you could also have a surrounding div called "articles" and refer to the elements inside using CSS selectors.

But as said above: IDs are specific and unique. Classnames are generic and not specifically related to styles ... the rest is really up to you!

Paul

Hi,

I'm having to design the UI to a small site, and that means dabbling in css. I've never been able to get any kind of decent idea as to how to decide on classes and id-ing.

IME, the decisions you'll need to make will depend on the nature of the site, especially as it relates to the volume of Javascript you'll be using. The HTML / Javascript / CSS interdependencies can get to be quite a bit to manage. Like you, I've been unable to find what I would call a usable set of guidance. Here's what I've come to.

We've got three 'identifiers' to work with: id, name, and class. CSS uses id and class. Javascript uses id and name. So, to keep the issues as separate as possible, I try to avoid using id for CSS. The problem I've run into is that it's difficult to decide what 'class' a thing belongs to until you've got lots of other things to compare it to. So what I'm ending up doing in actual practice is to initially use id to style elements as the UI emerges, then refactor to classes as the site comes together. It's turning out to be a non-trivial exercise.

HTH, Bill

Huh?? JavaScript offers various ways to access elements of the DOM, and 'class' is certainly one of them. Can you be more specific about what "issues" you're trying to "keep separate"?

And if you have *one* of an element that needs styling, why not use an ID to target your CSS?

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

We've got three 'identifiers' to work with: id, name, and class. CSS uses id and class. Javascript uses id and name. So, to keep the issues as separate as possible, I try to avoid using id for CSS.

Huh?? JavaScript offers various ways to access elements of the DOM, and 'class' is certainly one of them. Can you be more specific about what "issues" you're trying to "keep separate"?

And if you have *one* of an element that needs styling, why not use an ID to target your CSS?

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com

To add a couple of point to this: First the name attribute is deprecated because it turned out to be a mistake. It server the exact same purpose as id and it redundant. Secondly, any sane person uses something like jQuery or Prototype, which access elements in the DOM using CSS selectors. So the trend is to try to bring JavaScript and CSS closer together and not to separate them.

So given that there is not three identifiers there is just one, which is id. The class attribute does not identify a DOM element. It identifies the styles to apply to the element. Notice I said styles (plural).

This is perfectly legal:

HTML fragment

To add a couple of point to this: First the name attribute is deprecated because it turned out to be a mistake. It server the exact same purpose as id and it redundant.

Actually not redundant in forms -- e.g. radio button elements can be grouped by a shared name /and/ have unique IDs -- but...

So given that there is not three identifiers there is just one, which is id. The class attribute does not identify a DOM element.

No, it doesn't identify a *unique* DOM element, but ...

Notice that all id attributes are unique on the page and are used to identify DOM elements. CSS class names describe the styling and are not used to identify the DOM elements.

..e.g., you mentioned Prototype, which provides a convenient getElementsByClassName() method which identifies a *set* of DOM elements. :slight_smile:

Hi Hassan,

> We've got three 'identifiers' to work with: id, name, and class. CSS > uses id and class. Javascript uses id and name. So, to keep the issues > as separate as possible, I try to avoid using id for CSS.

Huh?? JavaScript offers various ways to access elements of the DOM, and 'class' is certainly one of them.

I probably should have said JS libraries, specifically the Prototype / Scriptaculous libraries, which is what I was thinking of. I think it's accurate to say that in those libraries, identification via id / name predominates.

Can you be more specific about what "issues" you're trying to "keep separate"?

My focus at this point is refactoring an Ajax application. My CSS has gotten out of hand size-wise, primarily as a result of using id to identify elements. As I refactor back to classes, every modification / elimination of id in the html requires examination / testing of the JS to make sure I haven't eliminated a needed reference. The same isn't required when making changes to classes.

Absolutely agree. The OP asked about guidelines. Just trying to communicate what I've found helpful. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Best regards, Bill

I probably should have said JS libraries, specifically the Prototype / Scriptaculous libraries, which is what I was thinking of. I think it's accurate to say that in those libraries, identification via id / name predominates.

Sure, but...

As I refactor back to classes, every modification / elimination of id in the html requires examination / testing of the JS to make sure I haven't eliminated a needed reference. The same isn't required when making changes to classes.

..that's not true if you use getElementsByClassName to gather up collections of elements to operate on -- or maybe I'm the only one :slight_smile:

Absolutely agree. The OP asked about guidelines. Just trying to communicate what I've found helpful. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Nerves? What nerves? All my nerves are currently committed to dealing with the JRuby on OC4J installation I'm inheriting :slight_smile:

No, just wanted to make the point that class names in HTML can be equally useful for identifying JS objects -- obviously a YMMV area!

H*

We've got three 'identifiers' to work with: id, name, and class. CSS uses id and class.

CSS also uses element's name itself and can use variuos combinations, descendants etc.

Javascript uses id and name. So, to keep the issues as separate as possible, I try to avoid using id for CSS.

Popular JavaScript libraries let you use CSS selectors, so whatever you use in CSS to target elements works in JS too (and even more, because sometimes library can provide more methods than browser has implemented for CSS).

The problem I've run into is that it's difficult to decide what 'class' a thing belongs to until you've got lots of other things to compare it to. So what I'm ending up doing in actual practice is to initially use id to style elements as the UI emerges, then refactor to classes as the site comes together. It's turning out to be a non-trivial exercise.

That sounds strange. Maybe you just lack some practice? Two things to remember: IDs must be unique on the page, and you do not necessarily need classes (or id's for that matter) at all, there are other means to target elements. Lets say you want to target LI elements in some UL. You don't have to provide them all with classes or ids: just give some id to UL and then you can specify your LIs using "#myulid li" Likewise, to target paragraphs which got just after header you don't need to use id or class: "h2 + p" will work just fine. It is definitely worth spending some time with Selectors | jQuery API Documentation - good grasp on these will help to simplify your code.

Regards, Rimantas

Hi,

> The problem > I've run into is that it's difficult to decide what 'class' a thing > belongs to until you've got lots of other things to compare it to. So > what I'm ending up doing in actual practice is to initially use id to > style elements as the UI emerges, then refactor to classes as the site > comes together. It's turning out to be a non-trivial exercise.

Maybe you just lack some practice?

Without question.

I responded, with what I'd point out was not positioned as a recommendation, because I share the OP's experience having difficulty finding clear, easy-to-follow guidelines WRT 'best practices' that lead naturally to an easily maintained / modified, coherent set of CSS files, Javascript files, and HTML produced by Rails code. Links are always appreciated.

Best regards, Bill

But *only* for the above listed elements, NOT for e.g. form elements like INPUT.

I had the same question when I was starting out with CSS. A lot of is simply trial and error, and you figure out what is best. Buy a good book on CSS (I read Bullet Proof CSS design), and that will give you some guidance as to what's the best class/id naming style. In general I follow these rules:

1. Use ID for unique element. 2. Use class for shared elements. 3. Scope CSS selector properly, so it's as specific as possible. It's a terrible thing to work on a code base where the previous developer specified style on something generic like ".first", then everything in the site that is of class "first" would be impacted by this style.