getting started: quick question virtual rails>>>

I am running Linux Mint with virtual machine and virtual rails installed on my laptop...I am barely learning ruby on rails and still a novice...now that I have virtual rails installed I am assuming I use the netbeans IDE 6.8 for building applications and embedding ruby code. is this correct? I wasnt sure if I use the command prompt or both.

Rails authors assume a lot of `rails` and `rake` commands be done on the command line, yes. Netbeans will run lots of those commands for you.

Rich d wrote:

I am running Linux Mint with virtual machine and virtual rails installed on my laptop...I am barely learning ruby on rails and still a novice...now that I have virtual rails installed I am assuming I use the netbeans IDE 6.8 for building applications and embedding ruby code. is this correct? I wasnt sure if I use the command prompt or both.

You can use either. I would generally advise forgetting about NetBeans and using a good editor such as KokodoEdit, not an UDE. Rails really doesn't need or want an IDE.

Best,

Rich d wrote:

You can use either. I would generally advise forgetting about NetBeans and using a good editor such as KokodoEdit, not an IDE. Rails really doesn't need or want an IDE.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Rich d wrote:

You can use either. I would generally advise forgetting about NetBeans and using a good editor such as KokodoEdit,

Er, that would be KomodoEdit. I'll blame my iPhone for the typo. :smiley:

Best,