Getting data from an RS-232 port

Dot Dot wrote:

What is the best way to do this: 1) Request measurement data from a scientific device connected to PC with RS-232 cable. (On Windows XP box) 2) Receive data 3) Display data in an app for a user to add comments and input other measurements that are not sent down the RS-232 cable 4) Send data to database

I can do 3) and 4) (I think) but I don't know about getting data from the serial port.

Will someone give me advice? Any help appreciated, Karen

PS Bonus question: I want to do the app in RoR but time-conscious collegues are strongly suggesting I do it in Java. I understand that the support for the "way" to do it in Java has been withdrawn for Windows, so whichever way we do it we may have to have a C program talking to the device. Is this correct? Any comments on RoR vs Java for this?    Hi Karen,

The way to do this is to have a client program that runs on Windows and POSTs the data to the website. Steps (1) and (2) will typically involve the implementation of a piece of software that meets your protocol requirements and can receive data from it.

This is *exactly* what I have just done for a client. Would you like to contact me off list?

Cheers Mohit.

Dot Dot wrote:

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:   Would you like to   

contact me off list?

Hi Mohit, That would be good - how do I do that? I post these messages via ruby-forum.com and I can't see an email address for you! Karen

Hi Karen,

I keep forgetting that not everyone is on the mailing list :smiley: You can reach me - mohits AT onghu DOT com

Cheers Mohit.