generating html files

what the recommended way to generate static html files based on a database structure, for example 1000 product pages.

i would like to specify s template and embed css styles.

i use rails 3.1

thanx

I'd look into using factory girl.

http://rubygems.org/gems/factory_girl

Dan Nachbar

"\"Jochen Kächelin - 8frogs.de\"" <info@8frogs.de> wrote in post #1022809:

what the recommended way to generate static html files based on a database structure, for example 1000 product pages.

i would like to specify s template and embed css styles.

i use rails 3.1

thanx

erb templates are part of the ruby language, as is the ability to query a database. So you can write a ruby program that creates an erb template, and you can query the database to fill in values in the template, and then write the results to a bunch of files.

Here is an example:

require 'erb' require 'sqlite3'

template = ERB.new <<"END_OF_TEMPLATE" <html> <head> <title><%= name %></title> <style type="text/css"> div {color:blue;} </style> </head> <body> <div>Name: <%= name %></div> <div>Color: <%= color %></div> </body> </html> END_OF_TEMPLATE

db = SQLite3::Database.new( "my_db.db" ) table = "test"

db.execute( "select * from #{table}" ) do |row|   name, color = row

File.open("#{name}.html", "w") do |f|     f.puts template.result(binding)     #binding gathers up the variables and their values

end

end

--output:--

hammer.html:

<html> <head> <title>hammer</title> <style type="text/css"> div {color:blue;} </style> </head> <body> <div>Name: hammer</div> <div>Color: black</div> </body> </html>