gem install problem

Hello,

I'm following Dan Benjamin's install tutorial and got stuck at the gem install. It looks like it installed successfully but the gem command is not recognized. I located another rubygems install from macports at "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ruby/ rb-rubygems/" and tried to do a port uninstall and got "Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: rubygems not registered as installed." Any help would be appreciated.

Successfully built RubyGem Name: sources Version: 0.0.1 File: sources-0.0.1.gem Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri... Installing rubygems-0.9.2 ri... Installing rubygems-0.9.2 rdoc...

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed. Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a while)... ...done. No library stubs found.

$ cd .. $ sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies sudo: gem: command not found

Hello,

I’m following Dan Benjamin’s install tutorial and got stuck at the gem

install. It looks like it installed successfully but the gem command

is not recognized. I located another rubygems install from macports at

"/opt/local/var/macports/sources/[rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ruby/

rb-rubygems/](http://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ruby/rb-rubygems/)" and tried to do a port uninstall and got "Error: port

uninstall failed: Registry error: rubygems not registered as

installed." Any help would be appreciated.

I think that the path above is just the sources that MacPorts knows about for RubyGems. If RubyGems were installed via MacPorts and /opt/local/bin were on your $PATH, you could use the gem command.

Successfully built RubyGem

Name: sources

Version: 0.0.1

File: sources-0.0.1.gem

Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri…

Installing rubygems-0.9.2 ri…

Installing rubygems-0.9.2 rdoc…

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.

Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a

while)…

…done.

No library stubs found.

That’s quite an old release of RubyGems. The latest is 1.3.1. Maybe you should remove anything that was installed as part of 0.9.2 and try again with the latest release.

Regards, Craig