gem install blackbook on centos error

Hello, I'm trying to install the blackbook gem on my m/c with centos , but i get the following error: Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing blackbook:         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090201/bin/ruby extconf.rb install blackbook checking for #include <libxml/parser.h> ... yes checking for #include <libxslt/xslt.h> ... no libxslt is missing. try 'port install libxslt' or 'yum install libxslt' *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:         --with-opt-dir         --without-opt-dir         --with-opt-include         --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include         --with-opt-lib         --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib         --with-make-prog         --without-make-prog         --srcdir=.         --curdir         --ruby=/opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090201/bin/ruby         --with-xml2-dir         --without-xml2-dir         --with-xml2-include         --without-xml2-include=${xml2-dir}/include         --with-xml2-lib         --without-xml2-lib=${xml2-dir}/lib         --with-xslt-dir         --without-xslt-dir         --with-xslt-include         --without-xslt-include=${xslt-dir}/include         --with-xslt-lib         --without-xslt-lib=${xslt-dir}/lib

Gem files will remain installed in /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090201/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/nokogiri-1.2.1 for inspection. Results logged to /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20090201/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/nokogiri-1.2.1/ext/nokogiri/gem_make.out

Please can someone help me solve this.... Thank you....

So, did you try what the error suggested? Did you do ‘yum install libxslt’ ?

Cheers–

Charles

Exactly the same error message? (Sorry about asking that.)

Cheers–

Charles

Charles Johnson wrote:

> Exactly the same error message? (Sorry about asking that.)

> Cheers--

> Charles

Yes..exactly the same error message.... And I don't have the privileges to install YUM on the m/c. So can't even do that...

I know nothing about centos, but did you just install the libraries or did you also install the associated development headers (they are frequently split out into separate packages eg libfoo and libfoo-dev or libfoo-devel)

Fred

Jeba Momin wrote:

Charles Johnson wrote:

Exactly the same error message? (Sorry about asking that.)

Cheers--

Charles

Yes..exactly the same error message.... And I don't have the privileges to install YUM on the m/c. So can't even do that...

Hi, Were was your problem solved? I faced the same issue recently with ubuntu and it got fixed when i installed libxlst-devel. I used synaptic Package manager to get the same since yum and apt-get both used to say that the package was not found. Just wanted to know what you did.

Thanks and Regards, Anjali