Garabage collection Ruby 1.9.3

Had any one run into performance issues after upgrading to ruby 1.9.3. My application was working fine until it was on REE but after up gradation it seems to be too slow. One of the reasons could be Garbage collection with ruby, having said that i don't have much idea on how to tune it. It might not be the only thing that caused the performance issue but i think that is a significant change between REE and 1.9.3.

venkata reddy wrote in post #1077609:

Had any one run into performance issues after upgrading to ruby 1.9.3. My application was working fine until it was on REE but after up gradation it seems to be too slow. One of the reasons could be Garbage collection with ruby, having said that i don't have much idea on how to tune it. It might not be the only thing that caused the performance issue but i think that is a significant change between REE and 1.9.3.

What's the rest of the story?

- What operating system and version are you running? - What version of Rails are you running? Assuming you're using Rails? - Are you seeing the problem in development mode or production mode? - What leads to to believe garbage collection has anything to do with your problem? - Have you collected performance metrics that lead you to suspect the GC?

Generally speaking Ruby 1.9.3 is significantly faster than Ruby 1.8.x, including REE. I also really doubt the garbage collector has anything to do with your problem.

Whenever I hear about noticeable performance drops after an upgrade it generally leads back to something basic, like the OS. For example I, as do many others, recommend running Ruby on some form of UNIX based OS (BSD, Linux, Mac, etc.).

look at this link.

is in Portuguese, but not it’s impossible to understand. :slight_smile:

http://rrmartins.github.com/blog/2012/09/10/reflexao-e-metaprogramacao-objectspace-e-gc-number-ruby-1-dot-9-part-vii/

@robert          OS is Linux,          Ruby 1.9.3-p194,          rails 3.2.6 It is slow in development as well. The slowness is in reporting module, where a report is having large no of records. one interesting thing is the reports are pretty fast on 1.9.3-p0.