Forcing the Loading of Named Routes

Hi all,

I have a spec for my controller (and its routing) that looks like this:

describe "named routes" do

before do           # mini-hack: need a GET before the named routes are loaded           get :index         end

it "admin_venue_merges_path.should == '/admin/venue_merges'" do           admin_venue_merges_path.should == "/admin/venue_merges"         end

end

Trouble is, I don't actually need an index action on this particular controller - it's just there so that I can spin up whatever the code is within ActionPack that loads those named route methods.

What I'd prefer to do is directly call ActionController or whatever and tell it to load the named routes.

I'm fairly new to ruby and find the source code to ActionPack pretty overwhelming.

Can anyone more au fait with the rails source tell me how I might achieve this?

I recommend generating an rspec_scaffold. It gives some nice examples for model, controller and view specs.

$ script/generate rspec_scaffold Person name:string age:integer

gives this for verifying routing:

describe PeopleController do describe “route generation” do it “should map #index” do route_for(:controller => “people”, :action => “index”).should == “/people”

end

end … end

Regards, Craig

Craig Demyanovich wrote:

I recommend generating an rspec_scaffold. gives this for verifying routing:

describe PeopleController do   describe "route generation" do     it "should map #index" do       route_for(:controller => "people", :action => "index").should == "/people"     end     ...   end   ... end

Okay sure, but if I want to test the *named route*, for example if I want to put a route into a namespace, how do I write a test for that?