Finding out where a variable is defined

I'm looking at code in a project. I have no clue what is being passed into the resource parameter:

def read_authorized?(resource)       if resource.respond_to? :user_read_authorized?         resource.user_read_authorized? current_user       else         true       end     end

Is there any kind of debugging feature I can run to see what gets passed into resource in this specific instance.

Also, user_read_authorized? is not defined anywhere else in application. Is that legal in rails? Can someone just define :user_read_authorized? and it mean something?

Thanks for any suggestions

I'm looking at code in a project. I have no clue what is being passed into the resource parameter:

def read_authorized?(resource) if resource.respond_to? :user_read_authorized? resource.user_read_authorized? current_user else true end end

Is there any kind of debugging feature I can run to see what gets passed into resource in this specific instance.

Have a look at the Rails Guide on debugging then use ruby-debug to break into the function. Then you can inspect the variables.

Colin

As to the second part of your question, it is perfectly "legal" to define your own method names and the behavior that you expect. In this case, it seems like a resource (probably a model) is presumed to be readable (true) unless the resource has defined its own :user_read_authorized? method that takes a user and supplies a particular answer (and if a login has not been required, current_user might be false).

Shame on you if your method names don't make sense, of course. :wink:

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Colin Law wrote:

Have a look at the Rails Guide on debugging then use ruby-debug to break into the function. Then you can inspect the variables.

Colin

Yeah I followed the rails guide and got this far:

MacBook-Pro:trunk user$ script/server --debugger => Booting WEBrick => Rails 2.3.4 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Debugger enabled => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server

Then the rails guide says this:

3.2 The Shell

As soon as your application calls the debugger method, the debugger will be started in a debugger shell inside the terminal window where you launched your application server, and you will be placed at ruby-debug’s prompt (rdb:n). The n is the thread number. The prompt will also show you the next line of code that is waiting to run.

Unfortunately, I do not get a rdb:n and in fact, I type anything in terminal and nothing happens.

Have you put the line debugger at the appropriate point to break in your app? That is what it means by your app calling the debugger method.

You should then see the break happen in the same window where you started the server (when it gets to the debugger line that is).

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

John Merlino wrote:

Colin Law wrote:

terminal and nothing happens.

Have you put the line debugger at the appropriate point to break in your app? That is what it means by your app calling the debugger method.

You should then see the break happen in the same window where you started the server (when it gets to the debugger line that is).

Colin

I get this error message:

NoMethodError in RolesController#new

undefined method `run_init_script' for Debugger:Module

I was able to fix the above error. However, I try to inspect what the value of resource is and I get this using the p command as the rails guide suggests:

(rdb:1) p resource NameError Exception: undefined local variable or method `resource' for #<VerbsController:0x1061102e0>

John Merlino wrote: [...]

I was able to fix the above error. However, I try to inspect what the value of resource is and I get this using the p command as the rails guide suggests:

(rdb:1) p resource NameError Exception: undefined local variable or method `resource' for #<VerbsController:0x1061102e0>

The error means just what it says. You haven't defined "resource" at that point in your code. Try using the l command in the debugger to make sure you're where you think you are.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

The error means just what it says. You haven't defined "resource" at that point in your code. Try using the l command in the debugger to make sure you're where you think you are.

Best, -- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

I'm confused when I do this: (rdb:5) p read_authorized?(resource) true

It returns a value of true. But it's undefined?

I'm confused when I do this: (rdb:5) p read_authorized?(resource) true

It returns a value of true. But it's undefined?

No. Based on what you've said, resource is undefined, but read_authorized? Is written in such a way that if it is passed an undefined argument, it returns true. Why? I don't know. Step through with the debugger to see what's going on.

Best,

Rob Biedenharn wrote:

Is there any kind of debugging feature I can run to see what gets
passed into resource in this specific instance.

Also, user_read_authorized? is not defined anywhere else in
application. Is that legal in rails? Can someone just define :user_read_authorized? and it mean something?

As to the second part of your question, it is perfectly "legal" to define your own method names and the behavior that you expect. In this case, it seems like a resource (probably a model) is presumed to be readable (true) unless the resource has defined its own :user_read_authorized? method that takes a user and supplies a particular answer (and if a login has not been required, current_user might be false).

-Rob

def read_authorized?(resource)       if resource.respond_to? :user_read_authorized?         resource.user_read_authorized? current_user       else         true       end     end

So Ruby has a function called respond_to? that can be used to seeing if a particular class or object has a method with a certain name. So if the resource (e.g. record 1 of Users table) is readable (true) unless the resource has defined its own :user_read_authorized? method. If it does have a :user_read_authorized? method, then we take the user (resource.user_read_authorized?(current_user)) and evaluates it against the method. So if the method requires user to be logged in and have a role 6, then if current_user is logged in but has a role 5, then we return false. Otherwise (else) we return true, which means the user will have access to the page.

Is this what you were saying Rob? Also, would the next step to prevent the user from accessing, let's say, the edit action of User page be to define :user_read_authorized? So basically assign user_read_authorized role priveleges so it can test it against the priveleges of current_user (the currently logged in user). Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I been on this all day.

Rob Biedenharn wrote:

Also, user_read_authorized? is not defined anywhere else in application. Is that legal in rails? Can someone just define :user_read_authorized? and it mean something?

-Rob

def read_authorized?(resource)      if resource.respond_to? :user_read_authorized?        resource.user_read_authorized? current_user      else        true      end    end

So Ruby has a function called respond_to? that can be used to seeing if a particular class or object has a method with a certain name. So if the resource (e.g. record 1 of Users table) is readable (true) unless the resource has defined its own :user_read_authorized? method. If it does have a :user_read_authorized? method, then we take the user (resource.user_read_authorized?(current_user)) and evaluates it against the method. So if the method requires user to be logged in and have a role 6, then if current_user is logged in but has a role 5, then we return false. Otherwise (else) we return true, which means the user will have access to the page.

Is this what you were saying Rob?

Yes, that's a good restatement of what I said/meant.

Also, would the next step to prevent the user from accessing, let's say, the edit action of User page be to define :user_read_authorized? So basically assign user_read_authorized role priveleges so it can test it against the priveleges of current_user (the currently logged in user). Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I been on this all day.

Well, you could, but that's probably better as something you do in the controller (perhaps by defining a local version of authorized? if you're using a restful_authentication work-alike.

If you're not building a plugin for widespread use, you could just do the test "directly":

class User    def can_read(other)      return false unless other.is_a?(User)      self.role > other.role    end end

Then in your controller's edit action

def edit    if @other = User.find_by_id(params[:user_to_edit_id])      if current_user.can_read(@other)        # do regular stuff (render, etc)      else        flash[:error] = "you can't read that user"        redirect_to some_url      end    else      flash[:error] = "can't find that user"      redirect_to some_url    end end

Season to taste. :wink:

-Rob