Figuring out the relationships between models.

Hi Guys, I'm trying to come up with a model layout for a simple enough race prediction app but am a little stuck. Basically, the app will allow users to enter their predictions for a number of races (20 races in total). When the races have been finished, I want to determine who predicted all of the race winners correctly, who got 19/20, who got 18/20 etc.

Here's a summary of the players and their relationships:

A User has one Betslip. A Betslip has many Predictions (one Prediction for each of the 20 races). Each Prediction consists of one Race and one Racer (the predicted-to-win Racer). Each Race has a number of Racers. Each Race has one Winner (also a Racer).

This is where I'm getting a little confused. Each Prediction consists of one Race and one Racer, but a Race also consists of a number of Racers. A Race will also have one Winner (also a Racer). It seems like there are three types of Racers - a general racer (linked to a race), a predicted-to-win racer (linked to a prediction) and a winning racer (linked to a race).

Would anyone have any advice on the best way to model this? At the end of all of the races, the main thing I want to do is compare each user's betslip against the actual winners to see how many of their predictions were correct.

Many thanks, Eddie

Mr Horse wrote:

Hi Guys, I'm trying to come up with a model layout for a simple enough race prediction app but am a little stuck. Basically, the app will allow users to enter their predictions for a number of races (20 races in total). When the races have been finished, I want to determine who predicted all of the race winners correctly, who got 19/20, who got 18/20 etc.

Here's a summary of the players and their relationships:

A User has one Betslip. A Betslip has many Predictions (one Prediction for each of the 20 races). Each Prediction consists of one Race and one Racer (the predicted-to-win Racer). Each Race has a number of Racers. Each Race has one Winner (also a Racer).

User has_one :betslip Betslip belongs_to :user Betslip has_many :predictions Prediction belongs_to :betslip Prediction has_one :race Prediction has_one :racer Race has_many :racers Race has_one :winner, :through => :racers

Racers .... Are separate? Unless each racer can only participate in one race, in which case Racer belongs_to :race

I think that's basically what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice Aldric. This approach makes sense, but I get a little confused with the relationship between predictions and races.

A prediction has_one race, but does this mean that a race must belong_to a prediction? While the first statement is correct (a prediction has_one race), a race has many predictions associated with it. Is it possible to state that a "race has_many predictions" as well as saying that a "prediction has_one race"?

I could say that a race has_many predictions and a prediction belongs_to a race, but it makes more sense to me to think of a prediction having a race as opposed to the other way around (a prediction belonging to a race).

Eddie

Mr Horse wrote:

Thanks for the advice Aldric. This approach makes sense, but I get a little confused with the relationship between predictions and races.

A prediction has_one race, but does this mean that a race must belong_to a prediction? While the first statement is correct (a prediction has_one race), a race has many predictions associated with it. Is it possible to state that a "race has_many predictions" as well as saying that a "prediction has_one race"?

I could say that a race has_many predictions and a prediction belongs_to a race, but it makes more sense to me to think of a prediction having a race as opposed to the other way around (a prediction belonging to a race).

Eddie

A horse is a horse, of course of course... Oh, sorry. I was distracted.

A prediction definitely doesn't belong to a race :wink: And a race doesn't belong_to a prediction because there's no foreign key for prediction in the race, is there?

I guess my question is this: if you declare that 'a has_one b', is it a requirement that you must also state 'b belongs_to a' (i.e. can you have a 'has_one' without a corresponding 'belongs_to' ?). If this requirement holds true and I state that a prediction has_one race, then I must also state that a race belongs_to a prediction. I may be mistaken here, but this wouldn't allow me to retrieve all of the predictions associated with a given race (and a race doesn't really belong to a prediction).

Mr. Ed :slight_smile:

Aldric Giacomoni wrote:

No, as neither model would have the foreign key column, see below.

This is the right way to do it even though prediction belongs_to race sounds a bit odd. The model that 'belongs_to' is the one with the the foreign key (prediction has a column race_id in this case). You will find that belongs_to often does not seem quite the correct way of stating the relationship, but if the has_many seems right (race has_many predictions) and each of the predictions (in this case) is associated with one (race in this case) then that is the way to do it.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I understand it a bit better now (this article also helped: http://duanesbrain.blogspot.com/2006/05/ruby-on-rails-hasone-versus-belongsto.html). The terms used in Rails to describe associations can be pretty confusing. Eddie

Colin Law wrote: