Ferret 0.11.6 with WinXP

I downloaded NMAKE.EXE and NMAKE.ERR and copied that to c:/make and then added that to the path statement in the Environment Variables section under My Computer properties in the advanced tab. This took away the error I was getting related to nmake.

After that I was getting an error " 'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command ". I downloaded Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and found cl.exe in C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/vc/bin and added that to the path statement in the Environment Variables section under My Computer properties in the advanced tab and this eliminated the 'cl' error message.

I'm using InstantRails2.0 with RoR 2.0.2, and NetBeans 6.0when I tried to install ferret (gem install ferret) I get the following error:

cl.exe unable to locate component mspdb80.dll was not found.

In the gem_make.out file it says:

C:/Irails/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install ferret --no-rdoc --no- ri --include-dependencies --version > 0

nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

cl -nologo -I. -IC:/Irails/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -IC:/Irails/ ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -MD -Zi -O2b2xg- -G6 -c - Tcanalysis.c NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0xc0000135' Stop.

I did download the win32 gem (Ferret-0.11.7-mswin32.gem) but don't know which directory I should put it in prior to executing:

c:/irails/ruby/bin> gem install ferret

Can you help me understand where the gem file should be so that it will install without errors?

Thanks

maybe gem install Ferret-0.11.7-mswin32.gem