[FeatureProposal] PublicException, but for arbitrary MIME types

Hello! Surprise, this is actually a 3 parter.

I like the concept of public/500.html and public/404.html, but every time I work on APIs I get surprised that it is only for HTML and not any other MIME types. This is what I was thinking of doing.

Part 1) I have already created a middleware at my job that is like that functionality of ActionDispatch::PublicExceptions, but differs in that it will pick up the file using the following pattern: {Rails.public_path}/{Status}.{content_type.symbol}.{I18n.locale}. It also reads the files at load time and stores the contents in a cache to cut down on disk access. This would be the new PublicExceptions. Now developers could define public/500.xml.en and public/404.csv.fr if they so desire.

Part 2) rename public/{404,500}.html to public/{404,500}.html.en. This simplifies some logic and provides more clues to developers that they can localize the responses.

Part 3) Split PublicExceptions into a PublicExceptions and a DynamicExceptions middleware (this would be the to_{format} part) to again simplify logic. This will also allow developers to specify which they would rather have first or get rid of one or the other.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk, KWS

Two random thoughts here:

• public/404.html is designed to be served directly by the web-server, not Rails. So adding dynamic code like i18n would be difficult.
  • There’s been a few discussions about basically making rails new or rails generate scaffold , etc i18n by default. I would be interested to hear what other folks thought of that.

As a side-effect to internationalizing these generated views you would get the behavior you want “for free” and if the routes are satisfied by rails then you get the content-type → format too.

The files will still exist for the webserver to serve as needed. We could also have both 500.html and 500.html.en if that is necessary for the webserver.

As a side-effect to internationalizing these generated views you would get the behavior you want “for free” and if the routes are satisfied by rails then you get the content-type → format too.

The current code only serves the html files and only if Hash.to_html is not defined. https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/main/actionpack/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/public_exceptions.rb#L37-L40

I’m not so sure serving these files by the web server is a hard requirement. The intention to have static 500 error page was probably if the Rails server can’t fulfill the request you will not get a pretty page, if I had to guess.

I am not sure what your suggestion is for my proposal.