Facebook omniauth nil object

Rails 3.1.3

Gemfile gem 'authbuttons-rails' gem 'twitter' gem 'omniauth-twitter' gem 'omniauth-facebook'

My app needs Facebook integration, and the similar method works for Twitter API. When it comes to Facebook, the create method in services_controller.rb raises an error

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!   You might have expected an instance of Array.   The error occurred while evaluating nil.

app/models/user.rb:47:in `connect_service'   app/controllers/services_controller.rb:18:in `create'

Sorry about the length of the code.

Do you see any problem? I believe that I'm making a stupid mistake because the code got too long...

# and connect_service method in user.rb is

def connect_service(omniauth)         #set uid and provider         case omniauth['provider']         when 'twitter'             omniauth['uid'] ? uid = omniauth['uid'] : uid = ''             omniauth['provider'] ? provider = omniauth['provider'] : provider = ''             token = (omniauth['credentials']['token'] rescue nil)             secret = (omniauth['credentials']['secret'] rescue nil)         when 'facebook'             omniauth['extra']['user_hash']['id'] ? uid = omniauth['extra']['user_hash']['id'] : uid = '' ###HERE!!             omniauth['provider'] ? provider = omniauth['provider'] : provider = ''             token = (omniauth['credentials']['token'] rescue nil)             secret = ''         end         services.build(:provider => provider, :uid => uid, :token => token, :secret => secret)     end

at line 18 where I indicated by putting "###HERE!" in the code # service controller that creates Twitter and Facebookl things

class ServicesController < ApplicationController     before_filter :authenticate_user!, :except => [:create]

def index         # get all authentication services assigned to the current user         @services = current_user.services.all     end

def create         # get the full hash from omniauth         omniauth = request.env['omniauth.auth']         authentication = Service.find_by_provider_and_uid(omniauth['provider'], omniauth['uid'])         if authentication.present?             flash[:notice] = "Signed in successfully."             sign_in_and_redirect(:user,authentication.user)         elsif omniauth.present?             if user_signed_in?                 current_user.connect_service(omniauth)                 if current_user.save                     redirect_to services_url, notice: "Authentication successful."                 else                     redirect_to root_path, alert: "Error while saving Authentication information."                 end             elsif (omniauth['provider'] == "facebook")                 if existinguser = User.find_by_email(omniauth['extra']['user_hash']['email']) ####HERE!                     existinguser.connect_service(omniauth)                     if existinguser.save                         flash[:notice] = "Signed in successfully."                         sign_in_and_redirect(:user,existinguser)                     else                         redirect_to root_path, alert: "Error while saving Authentication information."                     end                 else                     session[:omniauth] = omniauth                     redirect_to new_user_registration_url                 end             else                 session[:omniauth] = omniauth.except('extra')                 redirect_to new_user_registration_url             end         else             redirect_to root_path, alert: "Error while authenticating."         end     end

def destroy         # remove an authentication service linked to the current user         @service = current_user.services.find_by_id(params[:id])

if @service.present?             @service.destroy             redirect_to services_path, notice: 'Service was successfully deleted.'         else             redirect_to services_path, alert: 'Service was not found.'         end     end end

soichi

I presume that you meant line 47 in user.rb rather than 18. That suggests that omniauth['extra'] or omniauth['extra']['user_hash'] is nil. Have a look at the Rails Guide on debugging for ideas on how to debug this. You could break in here with the debugger or put some extra tests in the code with puts statements to show the result.

Colin

thanks for your answer. I finally managed to find the problem.

omniauth['extra']['user_hash']['id'] ? uid = omniauth['extra']['user_hash']['id'] : uid = ''

should be

omniauth['info']['id'] ? uid = omniauth['info']['id'] : uid = ''

of course, all the other

"['extra']['user_hash']" parts are now "['info']" due to API changes.

soichi