EXTJS With Rails.. render partials into divs

Ok so I have been playing with extjs and rails for about a week and I feel I have made good progress. But I have gotten stuck. I have an extjs form that has a button that submits data to my login method. I want to have the controller update just a div in my page without reloading or redirecting the page. This works great if I use just an normal ruby on rails link_to. However, when I use a extjs button and set the handler to call the controller the controller cannot render a partial. It just hangs.

So here is my exmple. I have a very simple forum:

[CODE] var simple = new Ext.FormPanel({         labelWidth: 75, // label settings here cascade unless overridden         url:'save-form.php',         frame:true,         title: 'Sign In',         bodyStyle:'padding:5px 5px 0',         width: 350,         defaults: {width: 230},         defaultType: 'textfield',

items: [{                 fieldLabel: 'Screen Name',                 name: 'screen_name',                 allowBlank:false             },{               fieldLabel: 'Password',               name: 'password'             }         ],

buttons: [{             text: 'Login',             type: 'submit',             handler: function(){             simple.form.submit({url: '/users/login?format_ext_json', waitMsg: 'Authenticating..'});}         },{             text: 'Cancel'

}]     });[/CODE]

Then I have a users controller and inside that controller I have a method:

[CODE] def login     logger.info("test")     @title = "Log in to pinktomato"       if request.get?         @user = User.new(:remember_me => remember_me_string)       elsif param_posted?(:screen_name)         @user = User.new()         @user.screen_name = params[:screen_name]         @user.password = params[:password]         user = User.find_by_screen_name_and_password (@user.screen_name,@user.password)         if user           logger.info("found user")           user.login!(session)           @user.remember_me? ? user.remember!(cookies) : user.forget! (cookies)           flash[:notice] = "User #{user.screen_name} logged in!"           render :text => "I HOPE THIS SHOWS"

else           # Don't show the password in the view           @user.clear_password!           flash[:notice] = "Invalid screen name/password combination"         end       end   end[/CODE]The "render :text" never renders.. It actually just hangs on the authenticating when u click the login button. What I am assuming is that possibly the controller has lost reference to the div it should update. Is this possile. Since when I use a regular link_to command in rails the login method works fine. Only when called from the extjs form.

I have tried lost of stuff so far even

[CODE] respond_to do |format|           format.ext_json { render(:update) {|page| page.replace_html "home" ,:partial=>"loggedIn") } }

end[/CODE]

I hope my problem makes sense. I cannot find reference to this anywhere. I downloaded the extjs scaffold and I took at look at the generated code because it does create a create method for the scaffold. However this pre generated scaffold just redirects the user. I don't want the page to referesh. Is this my only choice?

[CODE] def create     @site = Site.new(params[:site])

respond_to do |format|       if @site.save         flash[:notice] = 'Site was successfully created.'         format.ext_json { render(:update) {|page| page.redirect_to sites_path } }       else         format.ext_json { render :json => @site.to_ext_json(:success => false) }       end     end   end[/CODE]Please any help would be appreciated..

Vince

I am getting a little further if I use

respond_to do |format|             format.ext_json { render(:update) {|page| page.replace_html "home", :partial => "loggedIn"} }           end

The partial loads, however the waiting message from the forum never goes away. It just hangs..