extensibility for the server command

I'm working on a plugin for running a Rails app directly in JRuby on Rails with Jetty. (I'm calling it Retty.) I would ideally want to get to the point where you could just do:

script/plugin install retty jruby script/server retty

Unfortunately the server command is horribly unextensible. It would be very simple to make it more extensible by making each server be a class and the command could would simply ask the available servers to autodetect themselves.

If I created such a patch is there any chance I could get it committed to the 1.2 line? Would I get it committed to trunk?

This sort of stuff is notoriously hard to test. Are there any unit tests in that area? Would they be necessary? (I don't think so, there's diminishing returns for unit testing this sort of stuff.)

Cheers, Jon

I'm working on a plugin for running a Rails app directly in JRuby on Rails with Jetty. (I'm calling it Retty.) I would ideally want to get to the point where you could just do:

Ah Jetty, I remember those days.....

If I created such a patch is there any chance I could get it committed to the 1.2 line? Would I get it committed to trunk?

I'd be happy to commit cleanups like that to trunk, merging to stable wouldn't be out of the question if it enabled some funky new functionality and didn't break anything.

This sort of stuff is notoriously hard to test. Are there any unit tests in that area? Would they be necessary? (I don't think so, there's diminishing returns for unit testing this sort of stuff.)

If regressions ended up being introduced I think it'll be worth investing the tedium to create a set of tests for that area. However as it stands it's completely untested and I don't believe we've had a whole lot of bugs there which tests would've caught.