Excluding add/remove options but leaving the edit as-is

Hello,

I am creating the admin section for a client using active-scaffold. I think keeping AS on the side, what I would like to do is allow the admin to add/edit/delete certain pages - driven by the pages controller while only allowing the edit option for other pages.

Examples would be: -I would like a home page that the admin can edit but not delete (for obvious resons ) -I would like the admin to add and edit any category that they add, but disallow them from deleting certain essentials - such as products category, services category (non essentials would be logged in user categories) -I would like the admin to add/edit/delete users they add but not remove users that are essential to the sites operation. For instance my current setup displays content to the main site that is owned by the 'public' user and also private data if the person who has rights to it is logged on.

I am imagining I will need to have a field in the database for each entity that I do not wanted edited or removed - like a 'no_delete' field?

What are your thoughts on this? Do I make sense?

Joel Slowik wrote:

-I would like a home page that the admin can edit but not delete (for obvious resons ) -I would like the admin to add and edit any category that they add, but disallow them from deleting certain essentials - such as products category, services category (non essentials would be logged in user categories) -I would like the admin to add/edit/delete users they add but not remove users that are essential to the sites operation. For instance my current setup displays content to the main site that is owned by the 'public' user and also private data if the person who has rights to it is logged on.

It sounds like you want some sort of role based access control.

Have a look at Goldberg for one such mechanism:

http://goldberg.240gl.org/

There are others too.