Excessive use of CPU

Hello guys and girls, I have a problem with a method (new), it is using 100% of CPU for 15/20 seconds. Follow the method below:

http://pastie.org/537568

## kits_controller.rb def new   @page_title = 'Add a Kit'   @kit = Kit.new

@num_itens = 16   @kit_inclusions = Array.new   @num_itens.times { @kit_inclusions.push(KitInclusion.new) }

render :action => 'form' end

def new_do   kit = Kit.new(params[:form])

if kit.save     params[:kit_inclusions].each do |ki|       next if ki[:product_id].empty?

kit_inclusion = KitInclusion.new(ki)       kit_inclusion.kit_id = kit.id       kit_inclusion.save     end

flash[:notice] = 'Kit added!'     redirect_to :action => 'index'   else     flash[:notice] = kit.errors.full_messages.map {|fm| "<li>#{fm}</

"}

redirect_to :action => 'new'   end end

## form.hmtl.erb <% form_for :form, @kit, :url => { :action => action_do } do |f| -%>     <% @num_itens.times do |t| -%>   <% fields_for "kit_inclusions", @kit_inclusions[t] do |i| -%>       <li><label><strong>Product <%= t + 1 %>:</strong></label><%= i.collection_select "product_id", Product.all(:conditions => {:available => true}, :order => "category_id, model ASC"), :id, :display_for_select, {:include_blank => 'Select...'}, {:onchange => "qntDefault(\'quantity_#{t}\');"} %><%= i.text_field "quantity", {:onkeydown => "return noLetters(event);", :class => 'quantity', :id => "quantity_#{t}"} %></li>         <% end -%>     <% end -%>     <%= image_submit_tag 'btn_save.png' %></div>     <%= f.hidden_field :id %> <% end -%>

Can you give more information on your environment? It shouldn't be taking that long...

I'd also advise you to read more documentation; some parts of your code are working against the Rails default conventions (for instance: the action that creates records is typically 'create', not 'new_do'). It's a small thing, but it means that you have to do extra typing (example: the :url option to form_for).

You may also, if you're on 2.3, want to look into the nested model support stuff, which will handle much of what you're doing here.

--Matt Jones

Hello Matt, thanks for the atention.

I'm under Ruby 1.8.6 and Rails 2.3.2. The machine is a Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz and 4GB of RAM. I have declared the nested conditions in the model as seen bellow.

class Kit < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :kit_inclusions   has_many :products, :through => :kit_inclusions

accepts_nested_attributes_for :kit_inclusions, :allow_destroy => true

def before_validation     self.name = self.name.to_s.strip.downcase.titleize     self.comments = self.comments.to_s.strip.capitalize   end

validates_presence_of :name, :message => 'é requerido'

def to_s     self.name   end

end