Error on relations

Pål Bergström wrote:

I have a controller and model for both "products" and "baskets". I've set up the belongs_to and has_many. When I'm in a third controller "shop" I get an error when I try to get the "products" data via "baskets". So asking for item.product.price gives an error.

Can I have this kind of relation when I'm in a third controller, that doesn't have a model itself?

Controllers have nothing to do with models, although best practices suggests having a controller per model.

A controller has visibility into all your models if it needs to..

Please show us your relations that you wrote in your models and the controller code used to access them and then we may be better prepared to assist you

ilan

Ilan Berci wrote:

Pål Bergström wrote:

Controllers have nothing to do with models, although best practices suggests having a controller per model.

A controller has visibility into all your models if it needs to..

Please show us your relations that you wrote in your models and the controller code used to access them and then we may be better prepared to assist you

ilan

class Basket < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :products end

class Product < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :product_photos   belongs_to :basket

def self.created_at     created_at.strftime("%Y-%m-%d")   end end

class ShopController < ApplicationController   def basket     @mybasket = Basket.find_all_by_session_id(session[:basket_has_items])   end end

<% for item in @mybasket %>

<%= item.product.name %>

<% end %>

I get @mybasket. But I can't access product info. It says "undefined method `product'"

Ilan Berci wrote:

Pål Bergström wrote:

I have a controller and model for both "products" and "baskets". I've set up the belongs_to and has_many. When I'm in a third controller "shop" I get an error when I try to get the "products" data via "baskets". So asking for item.product.price gives an error.

Can I have this kind of relation when I'm in a third controller, that doesn't have a model itself?

"Best practices" suggest no such thing that I'm aware of. In a typical app, most models will have associated controllers. Some controllers will not have associated models, and a few models may not have associated controllers. There's no reason to slavishly pair models and controllers if the nature of the app doesn't call for it.

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Best,