Error in "Getting Started with Rails" process, step 4.3

I’m evaluating Rails by, first, going thru the “Getting Started with Rails” process.

All is well until step 4.3, “Setting the Application Home Page”. I have un-commented “root ‘welcome#index’” in "config/routes.rb", restarted the web server (just in case), and invoked http://localhost:3000 in my browser.

I get this:

Here’s the app environment info:

This is on a Win 7 Pro SP1 machine. Two of them, in fact - I get the same results on both computers.

~ TIA, Ken

Oops, my embedded screen shots apparently aren’t showing up. I’ll insert links this time. Here’s my post, all over again.

I’m evaluating Rails by, first, going thru the “Getting Started with Rails” process.

All is well until step 4.3, “Setting the Application Home Page”. I have un-commented “root ‘welcome#index’” in "config/routes.rb", restarted the web server (just in case), and invoked http://localhost:3000 in my browser. I get this error screen:

Click here for the error screen shot.

Click here for the Rails environment info screen shot.

This is on a Win 7 Pro SP1 machine. Two of them, in fact - I get the same results on both computers.

~ TIA, Ken

Ken,

This could be a coffescript compatibility problem, according to some stackoverflow posts. ( http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28421547/rails-execjsprogramerror-in-pageshome)

Try to edit your Gemfile at your app root folder, and change the coffescript line to:

gem 'coffee-script-source', '1.8.0'

Leandro ~

It worked! For the benefit of other newbies (or oldbies) who hit this problem, here’s the story:

I added the line you suggested to Gemfile. (Curiously, in the original Gemfile, there was no ‘coffee-script-source’.)

I tried to restart the server, and got this:

C:\rblog>ruby bin\rails server
You have requested:
coffee-script-source = 1.8.0

The bundle currently has coffee-script-source locked at 1.9.1.1.
Try running bundle update coffee-script-source
Run bundle install to install missing gems.

I took the suggestion to run bundle update coffee-script-source.

The server restarted OK.

When I requested http://localhost:3000/, the “Hello, Rails!” screen popped right up!

~ Thanks for your help!
~ Ken