editors available for designing for ror..

can anybody tell me wat are the editors available for developing web pages(/static pages) for the rails application....

Emanuel,

Sorry to say this, but do not be lazy. There are several threads on this forum that have addressed these issues. I have just answered another one some hour ago. THERE IS NO SPECIFIC EDITOR for RAILS. You can do it in any usual editor!!! Unless you are looking for something else other than editors.

+1 Edmond, hehe

@Emmanuel - go for Textmate for a good start if you’re a Mac user, if windows nah’ I’m not a fan of any editors sorry for that, or just a simple TextPad will do. Even try VIM on linux if want to Code the classic way :wink:

Cheers,

Andre

+1 Andre and Edmond

If you are a Linux user, gEdit has a textmate plugin and and i guess a Railscasts plugin(for the same appearance as in the Railscasts by Ryan Bates).

Andre Joseph Cubeta wrote in post #964087:

+1 Edmond, hehe

@Emmanuel - go for Textmate for a good start if you're a Mac user,

Or save the €80 and try KomodoEdit.

if windows nah' I'm not a fan of any editors sorry for that, or just a simple TextPad will do. Even try VIM on linux if want to Code the classic way :wink:

Or Emacs (I hate vi myself). Komodo exists for all three of these OSs

Cheers,

Andre

Best,

+1 Edmond, hehe

@Emmanuel - go for Textmate for a good start if you’re a Mac user,

I just tried this too and it is really not bad… I think the only thing that I found compared to TextMate was that the file search function was a lot slower… but considering you can buy PeepOpen for about $12 (http://peepcode.com/products/peepopen) you are ahead of the game…

+1 Edmond, hehe

I just tried this too and it is really not bad… I think the only thing that I found compared to TextMate was that the file search function was a lot slower… but considering you can buy PeepOpen for about $12 (http://peepcode.com/products/peepopen) you are ahead of the game…

Sorry…scratch that about PeepOpen, I dont think it integrates w Komodo

I like jEdit, which is also free and available on all platforms.

Colin

Hello,

if I understood well your question was not about Rails editor, it was about a good "static page creator" or generator?

Try Haml with Sass!

Or try out Sinatra if you need small page, and also check the long list about good generators, both are amazing!! https://github.com/sinatra/sinatra

Good luck, Zoltán

hay I found myself, Gedit is the best…if u know how use its file explorer u will have fun, I was using kate at the first time, now I file, Gedit is the best :slight_smile:

+1 Edmond, hehe

I like jEdit, which is also free and available on all platforms.

Colin - do you find it to be fast enough – I think I looked at it but did not go further because I saw it is written in java and I guess I have heard enough about slow java apps… by any chance have you also used textmate and can compare it?

jEdit does not seem slow to me (on Ubuntu), certainly comparable to codewright on windows which I used to use. I have a four year old laptop and it runs fine. There are lots of good plugins. You need the project viewer for managing sets of files as a project (a rails app for example) and sidekick which does ruby parsing, method index and so on. It has built in ruby syntax colouring.

Colin

I've used NetBeans on Linux and Windows and was happy with it.

Aptana is very good for RoR dev with GIT integration

On the horizon is Redcar an IDE written in Ruby that lists TextMate as a major inspiration.

I vote for TextPad on Windows. You can download a syntax file for color coding, it was a file explorer built in, which works well with the Rails directory structure. I also use the "Find in Files" option often.

Of course, I've been using TextPad for over 15 years so I might be a bit biased.

David Kahn wrote in post #964465:

Or use more of a programmer specific editor like Zeus for Windows:

http://www.zeusedit.com

Jussi Jumppanen Author: Zeus for Windows