EDI

Hello,

Has any body tried ROR for EDI development? If yes, can I see the resources. If no, where should I start EDI on ROR?

D

EDI?

Electronic Data Interchange

+1 EDI?

EDI = XML, furhtermoew, each document has a unique number and refined fields…all u need is a mapping and maybe something like to_edi maybe a mapping table…

I am an absolute beginner in ROR. How can I start mapping using ROR?

Don’t think about ROR, think about Ruby, how can you map with Ruby, then adapt it to ROR.

Marcelo.

1. do u have an running webapplication in RoR?
  2. do u know what EDI is?

sure, but the goal is to map lets say a PurchaseOrder (Header + Positions = 2 Models in ActiveRecord (PO_Header + PO_Line)), right? but to to s imple mapping in ruby, yes the first step would be to outline / output in a xml file…would be my route

Hi,

I am an absolute beginner in ROR. How can I start mapping using ROR?

Assuming you're beyond the 'how do i build a Rails app' level, and assuming that what you're trying to do is limited to building an xml doc rather than implementing an edi transmission protocol library (IIRC, EDI has its own protocol), you may want to start by taking a look at the Builder::XmlMarkup class in the docs (api.rubyonrails.org). If you need additional capabilities, look at REXML.

HTH, Bill

Bill, are u more familiar with EDI? i mean the various protocols / subsets etc?

Are you looking to replicate just the aspect of mapping of an EDI file to a flatfile format or are you also looking to build a RoR app that can handle the transmission aspect as well?

not sure whom u are asking... to me i think its a nice thing to have; found EDI4R yeserday, but seems to be unmaintained since a while. fair, since edi spread wild, wild, wild... our company is as well using 3rd party tools...

Yes, I’d like to have a mapping - UDF - EDI & vice versa. I also want to create transmission as well.

Hello,

Has any body tried ROR for EDI development? If yes, can I see the

resources. If no, where should I start EDI on ROR?

D

Is EDI a project requirement?

-Conrad

No, I just want to explore & create EDI apps with RoR

The XML stuff previously mentioned should do a good job at handling the mapping. Ruby has a pretty good http library which is the protocol I use for EDI transmissions. What I don't know is how well ruby is at doing PGP encryption / decryption. Not sure what your spec requires.

Hi Tom,