each_char question

I am running ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 111 on Windows XP(same problem with OS X). I am wondering why each_char doesn't work for me? I looked at the documentation and it shows 'each_char', however when I look at the results of class.instance_methods.sort, each_char is nowhere to be found. Any explanations to why I can't use it? Thanks

-Juan

---------------------------------------------------------- Class: String      A +String+ object holds and manipulates an arbitrary sequence of      bytes, typically representing characters. String objects may be      created using +String::new+ or as literals.

Because of aliasing issues, users of strings should be aware of the      methods that modify the contents of a +String+ object. Typically,      methods with names ending in ``!'' modify their receiver, while      those without a ``!'' return a new +String+. However, there are      exceptions, such as +String#=+.

you need to require 'jcode'

Fred

Cool, it works! what is the reason behind having to use jcode?

Cool, it works! what is the reason behind having to use jcode?

That's just where those methods are defined.

Fred

where do I look in the future to find where methods are defined? thanks

Perhaps a better answer to the "why is #each_char defined by jcode?" would be that String (in ruby 1.8) deals with bytes and jcode knows how to treat those bytes as a sequence of characters. This distinction is important as you move to ruby 1.9+ that has better support for treating Strings as characters (with an associated encoding).

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Thank you, that explains a lot. I noticed in my 1.8.7 version, I didn't have any problems. This is what prompted me to find out my issue. I know I can just write it to get it to work, I was just wondering why it didn't "work out of the box." Thank you for clearing this up.

ruby 1.8.7 (2008-06-20 patchlevel 22) [i686-linux] [user@localhost ~]# irb irb(main):001:0> st="hithere" => "hithere" irb(main):002:0> st.each_char{|d| puts d} h i t h e r e => "hithere" irb(main):003:0>