dynamic models and activerecord

Hi,

I'm kinda new to rails, could someone point me in the right direction?

I have a load of model names sitting in a table. Given a loop through those Model names, how do I call activerecord functions, like count, on each iteration dynamically to display summary info in each link?

In my activescaffold helper I have the following code that generates an error:

def tag_pivot_column(record)   model = record.cube.gsub(/cube_/, 'tag_pivot_')   model = model.singularize

# error here. How do I call activerecord given my actual model name is in the variable called "model"?   num = model.count.to_s

# I am testing the line below, that shows the number of records in the link text   link_to(model + " [" + num + "] ", "/" << record.cube.gsub(/cube_/, 'tag_pivot_'))

# original working line of code.     # link_to(record.cube.gsub(/cube_/, 'tag_pivot_'), "/" << record.cube.gsub(/cube_/, 'tag_pivot_'))

end

'SomeClassName'.constantize should get you back the class

Fred

Frederick

Thanks very much. this was extremely helpful ! This was exactly what I was looking for - it works beautifully.

For readers' reference - here is the working code, which I cleaned up a little.

def tag_pivot_column(record)   table = record.cube.gsub(/cube_/, 'tag_pivot_')   model = table.singularize.camelize   num = model.constantize.count.to_s   link_to(table + " [rows=" + num + "] ", "/" << table)

end