Dreamhost shared hosting - mysql2 - db creation issue

hi there, i decided to build a small rails application on dreamhost (and not my VM ubuntu machine this time).

I have set up database.yml correctly by copying the user credentials and host name from the db administration panel.

The problem I have here is that when I run "rake db:create RAILS_ENV=test" for the test environment, I constantly get an error message indicating that the current user has no rights :frowning: This problem however does not occur for the development environment.

[amalthea]$ rake db:create RAILS_ENV=test (in /home/neon83/projects/notepad) rake aborted! Mysql2::Error: Access denied for user 'padawan'@'%' to database 'notepad_test': CREATE DATABASE `rails3-test` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET `utf8` COLLATE `utf8_unicode_ci`

Any ideas?

PS: I have heard of some rumours that on dreamhost shared hosting, scripts cannot create databases. It can only be done on the admininstration panel for databases.

hi there,

i decided to build a small rails application on dreamhost (and not my

VM ubuntu machine this time).

I have set up database.yml correctly by copying the user credentials

and host name from the db administration panel.

The problem I have here is that when I run "rake db:create

RAILS_ENV=test" for the test environment, I constantly get an error

message indicating that the current user has no rights :frowning:

This problem however does not occur for the development environment.

[amalthea]$ rake db:create RAILS_ENV=test

(in /home/neon83/projects/notepad)

rake aborted!

Mysql2::Error: Access denied for user ‘padawan’@‘%’ to database

‘notepad_test’: CREATE DATABASE rails3-test DEFAULT CHARACTER SET

utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci

Any ideas?

ct9a, are you credentials correct for the test database? Next, I believe that Dreamhost

may have a same origin policy in place. You might want to check the particulars with

them if you’re trying to create a test database on Dreamhost from your local development

environment.

Good luck,

-Conrad

Hi, everyone (especially Conrad),

I had a look again closeby between my db administration page and my database.yml. Found that I had used dashes instead of underscores for the database name (ie. 'notepad-test' when it was really supposed to be 'notepad_test').

Corrected that, tested and committed database.yml to git. All works :slight_smile:

Cheers! Gordon