Documentation for Debugger, deprecate breakpoint?

In the index page of Rails doc, we have the Debugging Rails and Breakpoints sections. I'm thinking maybe we should document ruby-debug there. I would gladly make a doc patch and submit it but I thought I should raise it here first.

Also, I haven't really used the breakpoint command and script/ breakpointer client. Should we remove them from the index page? Should we deprecate the breakpoint command (it's implementation just calls debugger)?

Calling breakpoint outputs "***** The 'breakpoint' command has been renamed 'debugger' -- please change *****". Is more really needed ?

Fred

I don't know the exact procedure for deprecating methods. I thought it should have a deprecated keyword in the comments. Maybe there's a script that scans for this or something. Maybe that's why it hasn't been removed in 2.0?

The typical form, I think, is something like:

DEPRECATION WARNING: The +breakpoint+ command has been renamed to +debugger+.

--Jeremy

I said,

In the index page of Rails doc, we have the Debugging Rails and Breakpoints sections.

Sorry about this, the Breakpoints section has already been replaced by the Debugger section in railties/README file. I thought running rake doc:rails would update my doc/api/index.html to the new railties/ README. It looks like it's still getting the copy from my contribute project's README which was generated before Rails 2.0 and so still showed the Breakpoints section.