Display thumbnail image on the fly?

Is there a way to display a thumbnail of a larger image on the fly?

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #949946:

Your question is too ambiguous to answer as it stands. Please elaborate: what to you want to have happen?

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #949949:

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #949946:

Your question is too ambiguous to answer as it stands. Please elaborate: what to you want to have happen?

Best, -- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

Just what I said, create a thumbnail of an image on the server on the fly, without having the thumbnail on the server.

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #949960:

Just what I said, create a thumbnail of an image on the server on the fly, without having the thumbnail on the server.

Wouldn't is make a lot more sense to generate the thumbnail when the image is made available to the web application instead of wasting the time recreating one every time the image is viewed? This is how Paperclip is designed to work.

What am I missing here?

Robert Walker wrote in post #949961:

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #949960:

Wouldn't is make a lot more sense to generate the thumbnail when the image is made available to the web application instead of wasting the time recreating one every time the image is viewed? This is how Paperclip is designed to work.

What am I missing here?

Good point. This is the solution I have today. I was just wondering if it could be done. But as you said, it might not be too smart when serving a list of images.