Disabling textfields while submitting ajax call

Hi I have a form_remote_tag-form that submits the contents of a text- field to the server. I have added javascript calls that show a spinner and hide the submit button while the server is processing the request, and would like to disable the textfield too.

I managed to disable the textfield using the prototype call $ ('text_field_id').disabled = true; but when I do that the content of the text field doesn't get sent to the server! Is there a way to disable the text-field and still get the content sent to the server?

Best regards Sebastian

Without looking up any documentation, isn't there a hook in the prototype function that is called immediately after submitting the form that you can use to disable the field after the contents are sent?

The callbacks as listed are:

:loading: Called when the remote document is being loaded with data by the browser. :loaded: Called when the browser has finished loading the remote document. :interactive: Called when the user can interact with the remote document, even though it has not finished loading. :success: Called when the XMLHttpRequest is completed, and the HTTP status code is in the 2XX range. :failure: Called when the XMLHttpRequest is completed, and the HTTP status code is not in the 2XX range. :complete: Called when the XMLHttpRequest is complete (fires after success/failure if they are present).

Using :loading is working! Thanks for the help.

S