directly calling an action

Hi,

I have got now ajax to work in my application.

But I have still a small problem :

I have a content - section

....... <div id = 'cont'> </div> ......

Than I want to call a action which update this section depending on the data-constellation in the database. There is no input-field on the page.

It works fine when I create <%=link_to_remote("dispatchConstraint",:update => "cont",:url => {:action => :dispatch, :order_id => @order}) %>

My problem is : I do not want a link on the page. There is no field to observe and there is no periodic update necessery.

The action is :

def dispatch if (@order.cont==true)       render :partial => "list"   else       render :partial => "addForm"   end end

Is there any function to do this ?

What I learned is that the trigger comes from the browser but all functions I have found need an interaction or is periodically called.

Thanks for any idea

Erhard

Erhard Karger wrote:

Hi,

I have got now ajax to work in my application.

But I have still a small problem :

I have a content - section

....... <div id = 'cont'> </div> ......

Than I want to call a action which update this section depending on the data-constellation in the database. There is no input-field on the page.

It works fine when I create <%=link_to_remote("dispatchConstraint",:update => "cont",:url => {:action => :dispatch, :order_id => @order}) %>

My problem is : I do not want a link on the page. There is no field to observe and there is no periodic update necessery.

The action is :

def dispatch if (@order.cont==true)       render :partial => "list"   else       render :partial => "addForm"   end end

Is there any function to do this ?

What I learned is that the trigger comes from the browser but all functions I have found need an interaction or is periodically called.

Thanks for any idea

Erhard

Erhard, if you only want to fill the div when the page is initially rendered, just make dispatch a helper function, and call it inside the div.

If instead you want to fill the div based on some unstated browser event, place a call to the remote_function helper inside a (template-processed) JavaScript function or a tag event property:

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/PrototypeHelper.html#M001635

Hi Thank You a lot.

I took the first aproach and filled the div with a partial initially with (remote_form_for)

in create I call a format.js with :

file : create.js.rjs page.replace_html :constraintCont, " " page.insert_html :bottom, :constraintCont,:partial => "list", :object => @constraint

Now the next step (I'll do this weekend) is to call the form partial again. (I hope it works with an ajax Button)

Erhard

Mark Reginald James wrote: