DevKit version wrong?

Hello,     I've been trying to install rails remotely on a Windows machine and linecache19 fails in that it fails to build the native extensions (linecache19-0.5.12). This is probably because DevKit is not installed properly and may have to do with getting the right version of it. We downloaded DevKit-tdm-32-4.5-2-20110712-1620-sfx and, to keep it matched with the original code I'm trying to have everything work with Rails 3.0.9. Do I need to uninstall DevKit and get another version of it? If so, which one?     Thanks,              Barney

For a Windows machine, try installing using railsinstaller.org

Regards, iG

Thanks iG, but I think that Rails is working. I went back to the C: drive and typed the usual: rails new blog and it made the proper structure, then went to c:\blog\ and typed "rails server" which started up WEBRick. I then verified that it was running by opening a browser to "http://localhost:3000" and got the welcome message. So, something is going wrong in my main application. What might be the problem (rails server doesn't run in it and gives the linecache19 error, and using "gem install linecache19" I get the error about building with native extensions.             Barney

Adding another detail, when I take the basic "blog" project (see above) and uncomment the "gem ruby-debug19', :require => ruby-debug" and then do a "bundle install" it gives me the error about the native extensions. This still sounds like a DevKit problem but I'd like a suggestion from someone who is pretty sure.      Thanks,          Barney

Hello,

Hello,

I've been trying to install rails remotely on a Windows machine

and linecache19 fails in that it fails to build the native extensions (linecache19-0.5.12). This is probably because DevKit is not installed properly and may have to do with getting the right version of it. We downloaded DevKit-tdm-32-4.5-2-20110712-1620-sfx and, to keep it matched with the original code I'm trying to have everything work with Rails 3.0.9. Do I need to uninstall DevKit and get another version of it? If so, which one?

For Ruby 1.9.2 you need the latest DevKit published on RubyInstaller page, which is tdm-32-4.5.2, so that is good.

Now, have you followed the installation instructions from the wiki?

Please note that linecache19 will require an active internet connection to download the source package of Ruby to be able to compile it's extension (that is done by the ruby_core_source gem)

To our bad, there is no progress on what is going on to determine if the download worked or not, but there are high chances it failed, aborted and caused the gem installation to fail.

Other than keep trying, there is no other alternative.

If you have more issues with this, please post to RubyInstaller group, where other Windows developers will try to help you:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/

Thank you Luis,      I believe that my problems stem for a bad installation of the DevKit which gave me an [INFO] and a [WARN] during the install. Checking the install of rdiscount it gave me an error: Failed to build gem native extension. I'll go to the Installer group that you suggested and continue my questioning there.      Thanks again,             Barney

Hi Barney, The installation is already OK, but you just need to do the following steps:

• Open your command shell and navigate to the DevKit installation folder (example: C:>DevKit)
  • Next enter and run the following commands:*** ruby dk.rb init ruby dk.rb install***

That’s it, now you test by installing the gem. Use the following command: gem install linecache19

Let me know if you stil have trouble.

I've done the init and install before. When I run: gem install linecache19 I still get the ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. Any ideas about where I might look for the problem?      Thanks,          Barney

I’m not sure if the following step can help but I suggest you to try. Open your command shell and navigate to the DevKit installation folder. Enter and run the following command: devkitvars Then install the gem: gem install linecache19

Thank you, I'll try those 2 lines on Monday when I can get access to the machines.             Barney

Thank you, the suggestions helped, I did the above, reinstalled ruby and gems to a directory without spaces in its name and the app worked, so thanks to all who helped!