Developing A Better Curriculum for Learning Rails

Hey all,

I am working with a couple others from the community to attempt to develop a better curriculum for Ruby on Rails training, assuming that beginners have little to no experience with Rails nor Ruby. Of particular importance is the value of different pieces. If you look at learners who are on time constraints - we (codestreak.com) are curious to see how the community prioritizes the following secondary technologies:

Javascript RSpec and other testing frameworks Git and Versioning Control Deployment (Heroku, etc) Haml

We are interested in knowing the importance the community puts on these skills for Rails developers. I won't call out any of the above technologies, but we know some are not necessary for proficiency and others are critical. But we are very curious to the community input.

Thanks

Kevin kevin (at) codestreak (dot) com

Hi Kevin,

If you dont mind, let me give you some perspective from the other side of the coin ... a students perspective.

I am in my mid sixties and from an accounting background with experience in writing vba for Microsoft Excel and Access. In fact I have an Excel working model as well as an Access working model of the application that I would like to develop as a web application.

Then I had this crazy idea to learn ruby on rails because there were no jobs, and I had an idea for some web applications with an accounting bias.

So ... the first question for me was what was the best framework to learn to use ... that was soon resolved and I settled on Ruby on Rails.

Next, I searched and bought one rails tutorial after the other and gradually taught myself the rudimentaries of rails .... so much so that I have a functional nested form .... but.

Yip ... BUT ... I know find myself at a complete standstill and I have been so for the last 5 months or so ... I just cannot get past the bit of 'adding extra attributes to my Nested Form'.

Now ... I know the temptation would be to say, well there are lots of examples online, from Ryan Bates' railscasts to many other articles on Stackoverflow.

The difference is that my nested form is non-standard and none of those examples apply to my situation.

So... what did I do ... I cast around to see where my self eduacation was the weakest and realized that I did not really have a grounding in Ajax, Javascript and Jquery. The functionality I am looking for all seems to need some understanding of all of these technologies, to use your term.

For instance to have the functionality of 'adding extra attributes' to my nested form I am going to have to write javascript and jquery code to handle that functionality it seems from the standard solutions one sees on the web.

If I do not want to use 'twitter bootstrap' and instead have my own nav bar with drop down menu's, it again looks like I will need javascript and or jquery to handle this ... I could be wrong ... but you can see I am not well grounded in programming to be able to day definitively what it is I would need to write the code to give me the functionality that I just mentioned.

Well, this old bushman is now searching the web to find tutorial in javascript, and jquery to see if they will get me out of the doldrums.

I also posted a job on "Odesk, Elance and Freelance" in the hope that I would find a professional to take on this task ... all of the bids I got on my posting were evasive as to how they would solve this issue, even though they had all the code necessary to make an informed decision as to a solution. When pressed I found most were going to use the 'simple form' gem ... if they had read my job posting closely they would have seen that the standard forms would not get them to the non- standard form I need ... besides I did not ask for a re-design of my functioning nested form but rather the functionality I pointed out earlier in this article.

So ... I hope this perspective will give you some insights to a whole group of self taught aspiring developers and maybe you could market some of your courses to this small subset and give us some roundedness in our self education so that we can tackle issues of the nature that I touched on.

Thanks.