Dependency Problem

I've seen people post similar issues at various places, but I have yet to find an explanation on how to resolve this issue. I'm a new Rails user, so I need a little adult supervision please.

I carelessly ran a "gem update" this morning and it updating a couple gems. Since that point, I've been unable to use rails. When I attempt to, I get the error: "/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems.rb:779:in 'report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: builder(3.0.0 not ~> 2.1.2) (Gem::LoadError)"

There were a few additional lines. If those would be helpful in troubleshooting this error, please let me know.

As far as I can tell, this is a dependency issue. I tried uninstalling the builder gem and reinstalling it. That didn't fix the error. I tried uninstalling the rails gem and it's dependencies and reinstalled them all. That also didn't fix it. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Your suggestions and guidance are appreciated.

Hello,

first try RVM, it can solve this kind of problems easily. Plase write here your ruby, gem, rails -v versions, and output of gem list command. What OS you use?

You can check simply 'gem' command gives you how you can use this command, and also 'gem -h' or 'gem --help' If you have multiple versions of same gems, maybe you can try gem cleanup and the name of the gem.

Write us more details, so we can help you easier. Good luck, Zoltán

Do you remember the version of the gem(s) you had before you updated them? There is a way to install specific gem versions by adding the version at the end of the install command. Something like this:

gem install rails -v=2.3.5 # This would install Rails 2.3.5

You can also check the dependencies of the other installed gems to try to figure out the version you might be missing. Check the documentation at http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/10#page78

Anyone knows or worked with DragonFly gems to make photo upload? I have some issue with this: DragonFly doesn’t cleanup yours tempfiles…

All the time that i get some file (I use fetch method from app), DragonFly create an new file in my tmp dir.

Thanks

Andre

Andre Fonseca wrote in post #965095:

Anyone knows or worked with DragonFly gems to make photo upload? I have some issue with this: DragonFly doesn't cleanup yours tempfiles...

All the time that i get some file (I use fetch method from app), DragonFly create an new file in my tmp dir.

Thanks Andre

Please don't hijack threads. Start a new one for a new topic.

Best,

Sorry !!

I forgot this. I will open new one. Thank you.

Att

Andre

Hi,

I'm not sure if you've solved your problem yet or not, but I thought I'd offer my experience in case you or someone else could use it.

I had an issue with running Cucumber tests after running a 'gem update'. The error I was getting was:

"You have already activated builder 3.0.0, but your Gemfile requires builder 2.1.2. Consider using bundle exec."

In the end, the solution for me was to uninstall the 3.0.0 version of Builder by running 'sudo gem uninstall builder -v 3.0.0'. That left me with only the 2.1.2 version which Rails requires. Once I did that, my Cucumber tests ran fine again.

If you no longer have the 2.1.2 version of Builder, you can get it back by running 'sudo gem install builder -v 2.1.2'.

HTH, Spencer