- Have been away from RoR development for a couple of years.
- Will be doing a new project soon, starting with RoR 3.1.
- This site will be hosted on a dedicated user-controlled server inside their intranet, so this question is not about hosting services.
- Expect about 100,000 page views a day, with a bit more spikiness than normal around some shift changes, so provisioning as if for 500,000 page views a day would probably be reasonable.
- Nearly every page will contain dynamic content. Most of this content must be evaluated each time, even short-term caching will not work.
- The db queries are mostly simple and I know how to optimize them.
- The construction of the dynamic content is also pretty simple.
- The static content will be in the browser's cache most of the time, as there's not much of it and many users go to the app throughout the day.
- Basically everything will be over https.
So my question is about what web/app server to use, when I care primarily about low latency for responses, and secondarily about ease of setup & admin? And also whether there's anything to accelerate the RoR rendering performance? (Scaling to multiple simultaneous requests is something I think I have under control...)