Create route for external file using get with no controller

I created a special flash file that will read tag cloud variables from an external text file which will be located in the same directory as the swf. The tags are kept in the database and once per day a definitions.txt file is created with the population of the tags, the ref, and the weight.

My swf file and the external file called definitions.txt are located in public\swf\.

The swf will call a method of get and need to be able to retrieve the data from that file. How can I create a named route in routes.rb to accomplish this without a controller present for this action?

public\swf\example.swf public\swf\definitions.txt

example.swf will attempt to load definitions.txt from the same directory

Any help would be appreciated. I thought I was pretty savvy with routes but I've hit a brick wall.

Thanks.

This isn't what rails routing does (half of routing is pointless here, as with a sane setup the request never even hits the rails app).

If you only want a handy method of linking to the text file from your app, just create a helper method or a constant.

pharrington wrote:

I created a special flash file that will read tag cloud variables from

an external text file which will be located in the same directory as the

swf. The tags are kept in the database and once per day a

definitions.txt file is created with the population of the tags, the

ref, and the weight.

My swf file and the external file called definitions.txt are located in

public\swf.

The swf will call a method of get and need to be able to retrieve the

data from that file. How can I create a named route in routes.rb to

accomplish this without a controller present for this action?

This really has nothing to do with the Rails or Rails routing system. If you’re

wanting to simply do the following:

a) pull data from the db

b) store this date into a file

c) read this data via ActionScript

If my understanding is correct, you can write a simply Ruby script to pull the

information from the db and write it out to a file. Next, is this file being created

at a particular interval? If so, you can use cron to call this script. It’s not clear

from your initial e-mail as to when you’ll be creating this new file.

-Conrad

Ok. The text file's in the app's /public directory... you don't need a route. That is what /public is for; a directory to serve static files directly via the web server, *bypassing* your app. Just access it from your swf like you would any other resource thats in /public.

pharrington wrote: