Consts for symbols or too anal?

Soliciting some opinions here.

I keep having this urge to create constants for some of my symbol keys, so the Ruby interpreter catches my typos. I'm wondering how other developers handle this / what Rails best practices are.

The urge is strong for keys that are shared between lots of controllers and views. E.g., instead of flash[:warning], I want to use flash[WARNING] and make a WARNING=:warning const that's included in ApplicationController and ApplicationHelper. I have some "global" param names I also want to do this for, like the sort column and "redirect back" URL (which are handled by ApplicationController methods and used in lots of templates).

I hesitate to do this because I've never read a code example that does it. And of course I could take it to a ridiculous extreme by consting every param name in every form, so there has to be balance and discretion.

So should I do this? Or is the Rails way to stick with :warning and use tests to catch my typos? Exhaustive testing seems kinda infeasible for this. Like, I have a lot of error paths with a lot of different flash error messages, and I have a lot of candidate columns to sort by. But maybe I'm just lazy.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff B. wrote:

Soliciting some opinions here.

I keep having this urge to create constants for some of my symbol keys, so the Ruby interpreter catches my typos. I'm wondering how other developers handle this / what Rails best practices are.

The urge is strong for keys that are shared between lots of controllers and views. E.g., instead of flash[:warning], I want to use flash[WARNING] and make a WARNING=:warning const that's included in ApplicationController and ApplicationHelper. I have some "global" param names I also want to do this for, like the sort column and "redirect back" URL (which are handled by ApplicationController methods and used in lots of templates).

I hesitate to do this because I've never read a code example that does it. And of course I could take it to a ridiculous extreme by consting every param name in every form, so there has to be balance and discretion.

So should I do this? Or is the Rails way to stick with :warning and use tests to catch my typos? Exhaustive testing seems kinda infeasible for this. Like, I have a lot of error paths with a lot of different flash error messages, and I have a lot of candidate columns to sort by. But maybe I'm just lazy.

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I would prefer to write methods to encapsulate the behavior, and if you mistype a method name you'll get a NoMethodError. You can put this in application.rb:

def flash_warning(msg)     flash[:warning] = msg   end

Then just call:

flash_warning 'hello'

With a little metaprogramming you could DRYly generate methods for other flash levels that you want to use:

%w(info warning error).each do |level|     define_method "flash_#{level}" do |msg|       flash[level.to_sym] = msg     end   end