Connecting Parsed Words to Dropdown list/Searchbar

Hello,

I am making an app with an existing parser, that parses a .txt and extrapolates words and displays each on the index page. I am very new to Rails, but my hands are certainly dirty. I am not sure, however, how I could connect each word to an option in the dropdown list, or having a searchbar that redirects to each word searched for.

The dropdown list is organized with a Select All, and then it follows the English alphabet from there.

I want to have this using AJAX so that everything just gets taken care of on the index page. Likewise, I am new to AJAX.

What would be the first step? I've been tinkering with the code a bit, and searching the internet as well, but I've found clues on how to progress from here.

This is my first post, by the way, and I look forward to becoming at least somewhat active in these forums.

Thanks guys.

I am making an app with an existing parser, that parses a .txt and extrapolates words and displays each on the index page. I am very new to Rails, but my hands are certainly dirty. I am not sure, however, how I could connect each word to an option in the dropdown list, or having a searchbar that redirects to each word searched for.

Have you read the doc for ActionView::Helpers::FormOptionsHelper#select?

Implementing a form to submit a search term is pretty basic stuff; have you gone through any Rails tutorials?

I want to have this using AJAX so that everything just gets taken care of on the index page. Likewise, I am new to AJAX.

I don't see what AJAX has to do with this but If you're new to Rails and having trouble with a simple dropdown, I'd recommend getting that working first :slight_smile:

Good luck.