Compatible Packages

I'm interested in using ActiveRecord (AR) to build an API to a glorified file catalogue with ~35 million and counting entries. It's really an MD5sum catalogue with extra information granules about each file to support web services like interaction. Firstly, I'm not a computer scientist; just a hacking physicist with a little OOP experience. In addition to AR for ORM, I'm planning to use MySQL partition tables of type InnoDB.

In a private email, David H. said this combination looks compatible: Ruby 1.8.6 or 1.8.7, AR and AS 2.2.2, MySQL 2.7 and MySQL Server 5.1.x. I'm trying not to bother David directly, for this related question.

The problem is that our admins will not install Ruby 1.8.6 or AR/AS 2.2.2, instead I'm allowed to have these versions "managed" by the RedHat package manager: Ruby 1.8.5, AR/AS 2.1.1.

I plan to take advantage of simple implementations of these built in technologies: transactions, callback macros, validation, association, aggregation, etc

Are there any obvious problems with my setup?

Thanks!

I'm interested in using ActiveRecord (AR) to build an API to a glorified file catalogue with ~35 million and counting entries. It's really an MD5sum catalogue with extra information granules about each file to support web services like interaction. Firstly, I'm not a computer scientist; just a hacking physicist with a little OOP experience. In addition to AR for ORM, I'm planning to use MySQL partition tables of type InnoDB.

In a private email, David H. said this combination looks compatible: Ruby 1.8.6 or 1.8.7, AR and AS 2.2.2, MySQL 2.7 and MySQL Server 5.1.x. I'm trying not to bother David directly, for this related question.

The problem is that our admins will not install Ruby 1.8.6 or AR/AS 2.2.2, instead I'm allowed to have these versions "managed" by the RedHat package manager: Ruby 1.8.5, AR/AS 2.1.1.

I plan to take advantage of simple implementations of these built in technologies: transactions, callback macros, validation, association, aggregation, etc

All of these have been in Rails for ages, rails 2.2 was only out in december and clearly people were coping before then :slight_smile:

Fred

Thanks Fred!

My enormous single table DB crashed this morning and I imagine that "repair table ..." is never going to finish. It's time to get this redesign rolling. Can you point me towards any simple schema but rather large in rows solutions with MySQL/Partition Tables/AR-AS? I need to store 65M rows now with a growth rate of ~20M/year. The new additions are received rather uniformly over the year.

I'm going to post a larger more informative version of my new questions in a minute for others to see and perhaps make suggestions.

Thank you!

Rob