Command line ferret engine

Hi Champs,

I am using this fuzzy query in ferret engine to search something. "Summary.find_with_ferret(@fuzzy_query, {:limit => :all})" where Summary is a model class which contains each and every details of any item.

Now, when i run this code in GUI, I mean when i search something in browser it works fine. But when i test this by command line by passing the same parameters as i do using GUI, its not working. I am doing it like this in integration testing :- post "/home/seach", :search_value => "abc". This fuzzy query gives me nothing. I am snatching my head over it.. Hope i'll get my answer here.. :slight_smile:

I don't know about ferret but I would have thought that would be a get rather than a post. Have a look in development.log and see what is the request sent when you click on the link that works in your browser.

Colin.

No it is post only.. I tried my luck giving it "get" as well but not working.. Also the query generates the same thing. select * from summaries .. before it, it is setting the default ferret variables.

Anyway thanks for your quickie :slight_smile:

Colin Law wrote:

So what is the difference between the logs between running it from the browser and running it from the test? When you say the search is not working in the test what do you mean? I presume you have got some data in the test database via fixtures or whatever so the search will find something.

Colin

Yeah Colin.. You are right. there should not be any difference in searching from browser or from test.. But still the problem exists. Also i executed rake db:test:load to take all the development data into test database..

Is there any parameter we have to use during test or something else .. ?

Colin Law wrote:

Hi,

Is there any problem in these defaults while searching with ferret?

{:reindex_batch_size=>1000, :registered_models=>[Summary(id: integer, class_id: integer, class_summary: text, class_primary_field: string, created_at: datetime, updated_at: datetime)], :ferret_fields=>{:class_primary_field=>{:highlight=>:yes, :via=>:class_primary_field, :boost=>5, :store=>:no, :index=>:yes, :term_vector=>:with_positions_offsets}, :class_summary=>{:highlight=>:yes, :via=>:class_summary, :boost=>0, :store=>:no, :index=>:yes, :term_vector=>:with_positions_offsets}}, :user_default_field=>nil, :enabled=>true, :fields=>{:class_primary_field=>{:boost=>5}, :class_summary=>{:boost=>0}}, :mysql_fast_batches=>true, :index_dir=>"/scratch/ABC/Sandboxes/abc/index/development/summary", :raise_drb_errors=>false, :index_base_dir=>"/scratch/ABC/Sandboxes/abc/index/development/summary", :name=>:summary, :single_index=>false, :ferret=>{:create_if_missing=>true, :default_field=>[:class_primary_field, :class_summary], :key=>:key, :analyzer=>#<Ferret::Analysis::StandardAnalyzer:0xb76d28a8>, :auto_flush=>true, :or_default=>false, :path=>"/scratch/ABC/Sandboxes/abc/index/development/summary", :handle_parse_errors=>true}}

Hemant Bhargava wrote:

Yeah Colin.. You are right. there should not be any difference in searching from browser or from test.. But still the problem exists. Also i executed rake db:test:load to take all the development data into test database..

I don't think rake db:test:load loads the development data into the test db. For testing you should either be using fixtures or another method of loading the db with test data.

It is better to insert replies into posts rather than top posting as then it is easier to see which question is being answered. See below

Is there any parameter we have to use during test or something else .. ?

Colin Law wrote:

No it is post only.. I tried my luck giving it "get" as well but not working.. Also the query generates the same thing. select * from summaries .. before it, it is setting the default ferret variables.

So what is the difference between the logs between running it from the browser and running it from the test?

You have not answered the question above

When you say the search is not working in the test what do you mean?

Ok fine. Sorry for that ..

The scenario is i have some data into my fixtures and i am using rake db:fixtures:load to load that data into development database and to load the development database data into test i am using rake db:test:load..i think its right.. is'nt it? or should i use rake db:test:clone..

Colin Law wrote:

I don't think rake db:test:load loads the development data into the test db. For testing you should either be using fixtures or another method of loading the db with test data.

It is better to insert replies into posts rather than top posting as then it is easier to see which question is being answered. See below

browser and running it from the test?

I do not know this. This is what i am conflicting my head upon. I am executing the same method and passing the same paramters to method. Checked it many times. The only thing i found is that when i search with browser- search query which is "Summary.find_with_ferret(fuzzy_query, {:limit => :all})" gives me the results but when i run it in a test, it gives me nothing. That what we have to find out that why this query return nothing.

I hope you got it right now. :slight_smile:

Ok fine. Sorry for that ..

The scenario is i have some data into my fixtures and i am using rake db:fixtures:load to load that data into development database and to load the development database data into test i am using rake db:test:load..i think its right.. is'nt it? or should i use rake db:test:clone..

I don't know whether that is right, I have never tried it that way. Have you looked at the test db to check that the data are there?

Usually the fixtures are loaded into the test db at test time. I presume you have worked through the Testing guide at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

I do not know this. This is what i am conflicting my head upon. I am executing the same method and passing the same paramters to method. Checked it many times. The only thing i found is that when i search with browser- search query which is "Summary.find_with_ferret(fuzzy_query, {:limit => :all})" gives me the results but when i run it in a test, it gives me nothing. That what we have to find out that why this query return nothing.

As mentioned above I think the first thing is to confirm that the data are in the test db ok. Are there other tests that rely on the data that should be there. Are they passing?

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

I don't know whether that is right, I have never tried it that way. Have you looked at the test db to check that the data are there?

Usually the fixtures are loaded into the test db at test time. I presume you have worked through the Testing guide at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/.

Yeah that is fine. I have checked. I agree that fixtures will be loaded at test time. Also i have read a lot of tutorials including this.

Colin

As mentioned above I think the first thing is to confirm that the data are in the test db ok. Are there other tests that rely on the data that should be there. Are they passing?

Colin

Test db contains exactly the same data as of development database. I have written many testcases and thay are passing but only this ferret engine specific is failing. I dunt know whay that line is giving nothing while the same line is fetching results if i do it using browser.. :cry:

In that case I have run out of ideas, except that I don't think you confirmed that the development.log entry for the browser request is the same as the test.log entry for the failing test. Post them here if you like.

Colin