CHM Documentation for Rails 1.2.0 - RC1

Since the first release candidate of Rails 1.2.0 was announced yesterday, I decided to update my CHM documentation file for this release. You can find the updated file via my CHM Documentation Project Page [1], or you can download the file directly from here: http://delynnberry.com/assets/2006/11/24/rails-documentation-1-2-0-pre-release.chm.

[1] - http://delynnberry.com/projects/rails-chm-documentation/

Seems like something is wrong... are you having problems on your side?

Silly me, I typed in the wrong url. Try this one instead: http://delynnberry.com/assets/2006/11/24/rails-documentation-1-2-0-rc1.chm.

Sorry about that, and thanks for the heads up.

Doesnt seem to work for me on IE7 at all...fine on IE6

That's weird. What sort of error are you seeing (the "something has gone awry" message, a 404 error, something completely different)? I haven't installed IE7 yet, so I can't test this from my end.

Works for me, IE7 installed.

Works for me, IE7 installed.

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update, Domas.

Slain Wilde wrote:

DeLynn Berry wrote:

Silly me, I typed in the wrong url. Try this one instead: http://delynnberry.com/assets/2006/11/24/rails-documentation-1-2-0-rc1.chm.

-- DeLynn Berry delynn@gmail.com http://delynnberry.com

Something weird is going on with IE7 - when I first downloaded the CHM file, using IE7, and opened it from the download dialog, it didn't work.

The Welcome page showed:

"Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:       Retype the address."

Other pages showed:

"This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes: You are not connected to the Internet. The website is encountering problems. There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:       Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page."

I then copied the CHM file to a USB pendrive to try on another machine which has IE6 - then I happened to try opening it from the pendrive on the original machine (with IE7) and it worked!

Opening again from the C: drive folder I downloaded to (a) puts up a Security Warning asking if I want to open this file, which has an Unknown Publisher, and (b) still gives the content errors described above.

The same happens when I copy the file elsewhere on my C: drive.

Opening from my pendrive (E:) I don't get the security warning and the content displays correctly.

regards

Justin Forder

Justin Forder wrote:

Slain Wilde wrote:

DeLynn Berry wrote:

-- DeLynn Berry delynn@gmail.com http://delynnberry.com

Something weird is going on with IE7 - when I first downloaded the CHM file, using IE7, and opened it from the download dialog, it didn't work.

The Welcome page showed:

"Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:       Retype the address."

Other pages showed:

"This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes: You are not connected to the Internet. The website is encountering problems. There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:       Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page."

I then copied the CHM file to a USB pendrive to try on another machine which has IE6 - then I happened to try opening it from the pendrive on the original machine (with IE7) and it worked!

Opening again from the C: drive folder I downloaded to (a) puts up a Security Warning asking if I want to open this file, which has an Unknown Publisher, and (b) still gives the content errors described above.

The same happens when I copy the file elsewhere on my C: drive.

Opening from my pendrive (E:) I don't get the security warning and the content displays correctly.

...but both in IE7 and IE6, many of the method hyperlinks from the tree on the left hand side don't work. They take you to the right page, but not to the right place on the page.

For example, the links to methods in ActionController::Base are not working, whereas the links to methods in ActionController::Assertions::ResponseAssertions are working fine.

One other point - in the Index tab, double-clicking on a method which is defined in more than one place (e.g. ===) brings up a dialog that allows you to choose which occurrence to display - but the Location shown is just "Rails CHM Documentation - 1.2 Pre-Release". Something more specific would be useful.

Thanks, though, for a very useful packaging of the Rails documentation.

regards

Justin Forder

The security issue can be resolved by going to the properties page for the file and clicking the unlock button at the bottom of the window. I'm guessing that the reason why copying it to the pen drive removed the security check was due to the fact that the file on the pen drive did originate from your computer.

...but both in IE7 and IE6, many of the method hyperlinks from the tree on the left hand side don't work. They take you to the right page, but not to the right place on the page.

I'll take a look at this later today or tomorrow. I'm sure it has something to do with the CHM contents file that I have to manually edit to get thing looking pretty.

Thanks, though, for a very useful packaging of the Rails documentation.

Glad you've found it to be useful.

DeLynn Berry wrote:

The security issue can be resolved by going to the properties page for the file and clicking the unlock button at the bottom of the window. I'm guessing that the reason why copying it to the pen drive removed the security check was due to the fact that the file on the pen drive did originate from your computer.

Thank you! Using the Unblock button (not Unlock) cures both the above problems.

Still not sure about why the pendrive doesn't suffer from these problems - a file should carry its true origin with it, and the file on the pendrive still worked fine on a different computer.

regards

Justin Forder

I think it was because pen drive is formatted using FAT32 (or FAT16) and not NTFS. So when you moved the file to pen drive the NTFS attributes were stripped.

Domas Savickas wrote:

I think it was because pen drive is formatted using FAT32 (or FAT16) and not NTFS. So when you moved the file to pen drive the NTFS attributes were stripped.

FAT32, I hope (it's a 4GB pendrive)!

Thanks, that makes sense.

Justin Forder