checkbox use question

Hi, how can I use checkbox in a form to show all customers from table customers,

Course Users Customers ========= ========= ============= user_id customer_id Customer_name

I would like to select customers from the checkbox list, then add to the course table only users of the selected customers.

thanks dani

What does the relationship look like between Course and Customer? Is there an Enrollment object sitting between them?

One way might be to have a form_for @course on your Customers#index page, and a submission of that to the CoursesController would build a new Enrollment for each submitted Customer on that Course.

Walter

Walter Davis wrote in post #1023809:

What does the relationship look like between Course and Customer? Is there an Enrollment object sitting between them?

One way might be to have a form_for @course on your Customers#index page, and a submission of that to the CoursesController would build a new Enrollment for each submitted Customer on that Course.

Walter

Hi Walter, Thank you for your response.

There is no direct releationship between customers and course tables.

Could you please be more specific in regard to:

I just want to display all customers for a selection (checkbox style).

Thanks Dani

Walter Davis wrote in post #1023809:

Walter

Hi Walter, Thank you for your response.

There is no direct releationship between customers and course tables.

Then in order to have such a relationship (or the inverse -- a lack of relationship) between any given Course and any given Customer, you will need to store that graph somewhere. I would make a new Enrollment model, and give it the following attributes:

customer_id   course_id    You could add other decorations to it if you like, certainly the default timestamps could be useful, but you could also add a column for how much the customer paid, any other details about this transaction you need to store and retrieve later.

Then, in the model file, you would add

belongs_to :course   belongs_to :customer

And in your Course and Customer models, you would add the same declaration in each:

has_many :enrollments

And the specific declaration for each:

has_many :courses, :through => :enrollment

(in Customer)

has_many :customers, :through => :enrollment

(in Course)

Could you please be more specific in regard to:

I just want to display all customers for a selection (checkbox style).

The rest is pretty easy. If you have a form for a course, you can gather all of the possible attendees for that course using

@customers = Customer.all

in your CoursesController. The relationship will take care of everything else.

In your enrollment form view, you would then iterate over those, and build your checkboxes (I've left out all the html and erb tags for clarity):

form_for @course do |f|     @customers.each do |customer|       f.check_box [:customers, customer], @course.customers.include?(customer)       f.label customer.name, [:customers, customer]     end     f.submit   end

That's off the top of my head, but it should point you in a working direction.

Walter

Thank you very much walter for your time and efforts. I'll try this.

Dani