check_box with problem

hello list!!!

I have this in my proyect

in my controller   def elegir    @mercado=Mercado.find(:all)    @empresas=Empresa.find(:first)       respond_to do |format|         format.html {render :layout => false}       end   end

elegir view is

<p> <b>Mercados:</b><br /><br /> <%i=1%> <% @mercado.each do |mercado| %> <div> <%= check_box_tag "empresa[mercado_ids]", mercado.id, @empresas.mercados.include?(mercado), {:onclick => remote_function(:url =>{:action => "mostrar2", :id_valor =>i}, :with => "'id=#{mercado.id}'")} %> <%= mercado.nombre %><div id="muestra_i"></div> </div> <%i=i+1%> <% end %> </p>

I pass diferent muestra_i for check_box and mostrar2 is...

def mostrar2     @empresa =     @mercado= Mercado.find(params[:id])     @empresa << @mercado.empresas     render :update do |page|         page.replace_html 'muestra_' + params[:id_valor], :partial => 'muestra2', :object => @empresa end end

but when I click on the check_box, this is the messages

TypeError: element is null

Element.update("muestra_2", "\n\n\u003Cbr /\u003E\n\u003Cp\u003ELas empresas de este mercado son \n\n \u003Cp\u003E\u003Cb\u003ENombre: \u003C/b\u003E acciona \u003C/p\u003E\n\u003C/p\u003E\n\n \u003Cp\u003E\u003Cb\u003ENombre: \u003C/b\u003E gtf \u003C/p\u003E\n\u003C/p\u003E\n\n\n");

and my file development.log write this

Completed in 0.29700 (3 reqs/sec) | Rendering: 0.04700 (15%) | DB: 0.09500 (31%) | 200 OK [http://localhost/mercados/mostrar2?id_valor=2]

any idea???

thanks

The error message is telling you that you don't have an element with id muestra_2. Have you checked the html you generate? I bet you'll find that all your divs are <div id="muestra_i"> (and not <div id="muestra_1">, <div id="muestra_2">, ..._

Fred

<div id="muestra_i">

deberia ser

<div id="muestra<%= i %>">

Another thing. instead of

i = 0 @collection.each do |obj|    obj += i

end

you can do:

@collecation.each_with_index |obj, i|   ... end

same thing, more readable.

Another thing. instead of

i = 0 @collection.each do |obj|   obj += i

end

you can do:

@collecation.each_with_index |obj, i| ... end

Or use a partial.

Fred

Defenitely use a partial if you can. they save readability, manageability and are just very cool ingeneral.

from docs:

# Renders the same partial with a local variable.   render :partial => "person", :locals => { :name => "david" }

# Renders the partial, making @new_person available through   # the local variable 'person'   render :partial => "person", :object => @new_person

# Renders a collection of the same partial by making each element   # of @winners available through the local variable "person" as it   # builds the complete response.   render :partial => "person", :collection => @winners

# Renders the same collection of partials, but also renders the   # person_divider partial between each person partial.   render :partial => "person", :collection => @winners, :spacer_template => "person_divider"

# Renders a collection of partials located in a view subfolder   # outside of our current controller. In this example we will be   # rendering app/views/shared/_note.r(html|xml) Inside the partial   # each element of @new_notes is available as the local var "note".   render :partial => "shared/note", :collection => @new_notes

# Renders the partial with a status code of 500 (internal error).   render :partial => "broken", :status => 500

thanks for all, now it is ok but I don´t undestand the last

Defenitely use a partial if you can. they save readability, manageability and are just very cool ingeneral.

use partial where I have my check_box, in elegir.html.erb???

I use partial in mostrar2

render :update do |page|         page.replace_html 'muestra_' + params[:id_valor], :partial => 'muestra2', :object => @empresa

thanks again

thanks for all, now it is ok but I don´t undestand the last

use partial where I have my check_box, in elegir.html.erb???

No. the suggestion was replace

<%i=1%> <% @mercado.each do |mercado| %> <div> <%= check_box_tag "empresa[mercado_ids]", mercado.id, @empresas.mercados.include?(mercado), {:onclick => remote_function(:url =>{:action => "mostrar2", :id_valor =>i}, :with => "'id=#{mercado.id}'")} %> <%= mercado.nombre %><div id="muestra_i"></div> </div> <%i=i+1%> <% end %>

with

render :partial => 'mercado', :collection => @mercado

Inside the mercado partial there will be a mercado_counter variable so
you don't need to mess around with that i variable

Fred

Adding to Fred's suggestion, you would want to do this:

controller: @mercados = Mercado.find :all

view: render :partial => @mercados

partial: <% div_for mercado %> <%= check_box_tag "empresa[mercado_ids]", mercado.id, @empresas.mercados.include?(mercado), {:onclick => remote_function(:url =>{:action => "mostrar2", :id_valor=>i}, :with => "'id=#{mercado.id}'")} %> <%= mercado.nombre %> <% end %>

There are ways to clean this up more (for example, pass @empresas through :local in the render partial declaration) and I believe some of the functions I've used will only work this way under Rails 2+. div_for will automatically create div id's like 'mercado_3', etc.

Hope this helps!