Can't upload files when WEBrick running in daemon mode.

Hi,

When running my app in development with WEBrick in daemon mode I get

the following error when trying to upload a file:

Errno::ENOENT in UploadController#create

No such file or directory - public/data/upload/google

Rails.root: /home/resource_portal/website

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

app/models/upload.rb:29:in `initialize'
app/models/upload.rb:29:in `open'
app/models/upload.rb:29:in `filesave'
app/controllers/upload_controller.rb:16:in `create'
rake-0.8.7/ruby/1.9.1/gems/actionpack-3.0.3/lib/action_controller/metal/implicit_render.rb:4:in `send_action'
rake-0.8.7/ruby/1.9.1/gems/actionpack-3.0.3/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:151:in `process_action'
I do not get this error when not running in daemon mode. I've googled a bit but can't find a reason. Does anyone have any ideas?
Also the reason I want to run in Daemon mode is because I have to host my app on a uni virtual machine, and start the server after logging in with ssh. When I close the ssh connection the server (if not running in background) also seems to get killed.
Any ideas as to how I may be able to work around this?
Thanks,
Jen.

When running my app in development with WEBrick in daemon mode I get the following error when trying to upload a file:

Errno::ENOENT in UploadController#create

No such file or directory - public/data/upload/google

I do not get this error when not running in daemon mode. I've googled a bit but can't find a reason. Does anyone have any ideas?

My guess would be that 'current working directory' doesn't mean the same thing to a daemonized process; how are you specifying the target directory? Regardless...

Also the reason I want to run in Daemon mode is ...

Why Webrick? It's only intended for desktop development work; you would be better off using e.g. unicorn (my preference) or passenger in a production environment.

Alternatively, if those aren't an option, see if you have `screen` on the system you're using (Screen - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation).

HTH,

I personally use mongrels for my development chops, and passenger in production environments; I have yet to take the unicorn for a ride. I advise you to drop WEBrick entirely. Also, be sure to look at this security considerations if you haven’t yet done so. Security always bears reminding…

s,

Paulo Muggler

Hi, I solved this by including the absolute path to the directory where the uploaded files are placed. Now the code is:

#takes the upload object and extracts the file. def filesave #Calls the .original_filename method on the upload object and stores in the variable name     name = upload.original_filename      directory = "/home/resource_portal/website/public/data/upload"    ...

This works with WEBrick, but am now using thin.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.

Cheers, Jen!